Any suggestions on a good mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Mares Opera, but like the look of the Cressi very much.
Might just have to pick one up for a spare.

The Cressi Big Eyes and Horizon don't look that much different. What are the major differences?

The Cressi Big Eyes was the original "spiderman" style lens which allowed much better downward viewing due to the lens slant and shape. The Horizon adds to the Big Eyes with more peripheral lens. The only thing about the Cressi masks is that it doesn't fit everybody's face shape. I love it BTW and it comes with a nice sturdy plastic box. The Scubapro Fino also had good reviews in Rodales and is a similar style. Make sure which ever mask you choose fits so you don't have grief later! Good luck :eek:ut:

I have a Seavision ultra. It's got the red color correcting filter which I can live with or without but if you need prescription lenses
especially for astigmatism these guys seem to do the best job of it at a reasonable price. Us near blind guys don't get to go the low price route.

squidguy once bubbled...
The Cressi Big Eyes was the original "spiderman" style lens which allowed much better downward viewing due to the lens slant and shape. The Horizon adds to the Big Eyes with more peripheral lens.

Thanks for the response. Another question since your familar with the Cressi product. Since I went to the Cressi website I see what your saying about the difference in the Horizon and the Big Eyes. However the Horizon doesn't mentioned being able to use prescriptive lenses like the BigEyes (haven't needed it yet, but time does take its toll). And with the four lens for better peripheral vision I would think it would be difficult.

Any thoughts?

my next mask will be a frameless Black skirt sherwood
my current mask is a sherwood ezr2 black skirt
fit and comfort most important .

Find one that fits make and model are not important.
I know guys that dive in a $10 mask from the supermarket and they find it more comfortable than a $100 mask from the dive shop.

Do testing in a pool with as many as you can get your hands on. I would suggest the lowest profile mask that fits though

What about masks with the purge valve (Is that what they're called?) in them?

Are they problematic? I know it's supposed to be easy to clear a flooded mask so maybe I'm just trying to make things more complicated than they need to be.

I've rescheduled my first pool session for this Saturday and since the following Monday is payday I'm considering buying a mask while I'm at the scuba shop.

Purge valves are religion (fad?) that comes and goes. IMHO, you should be able to clear a standard mask to be certified, but then again, I'm no expert. It isn't that hard, just can be spooky the first couple of times, just like believing that it is ok to keep breathing from that funky black thing in your mouth when you stick your head under the water. A "low-volume" mask is often easier to clear than one of those see-everywhere-and-big-enough-to-wear-your-sunglasses-underneath types.

Masks are cheap enough, find one that fits and is comfortable -- that's the most important part...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom