Is this mask toast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Superglue in the UK means a cyanoacrylate glue - and these are soluble in water.......

IF it's worth trying to mend, I'd try one of the new hybrid polymer adhesives such as Soudal Fix All Crystal - genuinely clear and very sticky. I've used this and various Sika building adhesives around my RIB.

BTW, Scubapro did have an issue with Frameless masks debonding but I thought that past history.

Few years ago I had a brand new in the box frameless mask debond. I had the mask as spare that sat in it's box for few years unused. I found that it debonded in storage when I checked on it because I wanted to use it. Scubapro replaced it immediately with a brand new one no questions asked even though it was MANY years beyond warranty.

I scrub mine with Bon Ami. Gets them completely clean and doesn’t scratch.
IMG_1052.jpeg

I use bonami or barkeepers friend. That coupled with a bit of warm water makes a thick paste, scrub until it is squeaky clean and rinse.On the boat, I typically use a lighter for people as that is what I have with me and it works quickly.
Unless he was burning clear out to the edge of the glass and getting it way hotter than necessary, it didn't cause your debonding. It is just defective.

I really doubt the lighter use had anything to do with the mask lens debonding. I have seen this from time to time on masks that no lighter was used on including one NIB. Just because one thing was done does not mean the another thing and the other one thing are related, just coincidental. I have burned many masks including three Atomic Frameless and my Scubapro Frameless. And BTW, Scubapro did have an issue with Frameless masks debonding but I thought that past history. And I will continue to flame my masks as it is the only way I have had success with frameless types to prevent fogging.
Yeah I hear you about connecting things that could be coincidental. Maybe this kid just stretched the mask too vigorousy or something, especially if there's a chance that my mask was just more likely to come apart as you said. Still, I'm going to avoid heating up my diving gear with open flame for the foreseeable future. I'm sure it works fine but it's not necessary. The desired result can be achieved without the use of fire.

I have had my Hollis M4 mask since 2014 I think, did all the PADI courses with it and took it to a couple dozen countries in the Pacific and Caribbean. I have done maybe 1500+ dives with it. I never applied flame to it. I never had a problem with fog, toothpaste worked fine the day I got it and all it ever needed was spit since then. So, I am going to have to insist, fire is not necessary. It's a neat trick and I'm sure it works, I believe you. If there didn't appear to be risk, it wouldn't be a fun trick. You do what you want with your gear. :)

When I got the Scubapro mask it was great for a couple of years, maybe 200 dives until the pandemic. My Hollis M4 was lent to a few people (I can't be certain it never had flame applied to it when it was out of my possession) and then sat in a box for about a year until I had this problem. I think I paid twice as much for the Scubapro mask.

I'm not really into brand loyalty, have had the same Mares MR22/Abyss reg for two decades and I like it because it's heavy but I never applied flame to that either...

Superglue in the UK means a cyanoacrylate glue - and these are soluble in water.......

IF it's worth trying to mend, I'd try one of the new hybrid polymer adhesives such as Soudal Fix All Crystal - genuinely clear and very sticky. I've used this and various Sika building adhesives around my RIB.

I think it's worth it. Fits amazingy and no need to shave. I ordered some silicon RTV as someone suggested earlier in the thread but I'll look into this too. At least it can be my backup or something, my old mask is working great.

Few years ago I had a brand new in the box frameless mask debond. I had the mask as spare that sat in it's box for few years unused. I found that it debonded in storage when I checked on it because I wanted to use it. Scubapro replaced it immediately with a brand new one no questions asked even though it was MANY years beyond warranty.
That's very interesting, I ordered mine on Amazon, I wonder if they'd replace it for me.

I'm not really into brand loyalty, have had the same Mares MR22/Abyss reg for two decades and I like it because it's heavy but I never applied flame to that either...
I think maybe I am confused, your regulator is fogging :wink:?

Actually, I do flame my regulators to burnish out damage, primarily to the diaphragm covers or as a pretreatment to hydro dipping.

I wish I had a before picture but these were flamed and were really rough:

And these two were flamed and then carbon fiber hydro dipped and then cleared with a 2K product. Now with around 100 dives on them since service and refinishing they look and work wonderful, Red Sea, TRL several times and Cozumel twice:

Yes, on subject, you need a new mask. The debonding will continue and ruin a dive for you eventually, and dive trips are more expensive and irreplaceable than a dive mask. Even as a spare, I would not trust it.

That seems a bad idea. I use Bon Ami on my stainless kitchen sink, but would be concerned it would scratch glass. Bon Ami does not recommend it for use on glass either:

View attachment 810297
I’m in the sign business and we use Bon Ami on glass all the time. Nothing gets glass cleaner than Bon Ami. It’s standard practice to clean glass with Bon Ami prior to doing any lettering, painting, or reverse glass gold (mirror gold or bank gold). A thin gelatin solution is used in distilled water then brushed on the glass followed by floating sheets of 23K gold leaf on. When the water evaporates the gold sucks down onto the glass and looks mirror like from outside. If the glass is not 100% clean the water won’t sheet out, and Bon Ami is the only thing that works.
I use it on my auto glass and it never scratches.
I use it on my dive mask and it has never scratched.
If you don’t believe me try it on some glass in your house or on a glass you don’t care about. Wet a paper towel and sprinkle some Bon
Ami on it and rub the glass. When its clean let it haze off then wipe it clean. You’ll see.

If you want to actually get rid of a scratch in glass I have some other stuff for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom