Question do full face masks expire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randini

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi, I was recently handed 5 boxes containing new old stock full face masks and according to the boxes they were manufactured in 2007. 1 or 2 have been opened for people to try on, but these have never seen water. I've never used any FFM and will not without some proper training. When I asked the manufacturer about service kits, regulators and coms options for these I was told that they should probably not be dived since they are so old. Is this a thing or are they just trying to get another sale? I would think that if I take them to somebody that is properly trained in servicing them and that person deems them seaworthy then all is well, or no?

Cheers

Hi, I was recently handed 5 boxes containing new old stock full face masks and according to the boxes they were manufactured in 2007. 1 or 2 have been opened for people to try on, but these have never seen water. I've never used any FFM and will not without some proper training. When I asked the manufacturer about service kits, regulators and coms options for these I was told that they should probably not be dived since they are so old. Is this a thing or are they just trying to get another sale? I would think that if I take them to somebody that is properly trained in servicing them and that person deems them seaworthy then all is well, or no?

Cheers
What model are they? Only issue would be if the parts are 100% discontinued and they can't have easily changed for different parts that work.

When I asked the manufacturer about service kits, regulators and coms options for these I was told that they should probably not be dived since they are so old. Is this a thing or are they just trying to get another sale?
FFMs don't "expire" per se and I have a number of them well over twenty years old, in fine shape. What you heard from that manufacturer is just another effort at c.y.a, and, more than likely, yet another dive industry crock, of which there are many.

It could also partially depend upon how they are stored and whether they were silicone elastomer based masks; or, more unlikely, some old butyl rubber ones, which tended to rot.

If they possessed integral regulators, those should probably be serviced, at the very least, and the condition of the visors, straps, and any hoses assessed . . .

Thanks.
I'd rather not give details about the model & manufacturer publicly. The same manufacturer has more modern models that look like they use much of the same technology and probably similar kits.

I hadn't thought about them covering their assets, but I suspect that it's either that or trying to make another sale.

These were all stored in all the original packaging as they came from the manufacturer. They are silicone, but the straps may be rubber as they are substantially stiffer than the skits. I think most of the rest (o-rings in the com ports etc) should still be the same as modern equivalents.

No regulators were included.

Back
Top Bottom