Finally had a training session!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dotyj

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all:

I finally had my first sessio with my instructor today. I was scheduled to meet him at 9:30am and showed up at 9:00am.

Things started off with a review and grading of each of my five quizzes I took at home, each quiz review followed by a test administered by my instructor. I scored 100% on quizzes 1 and 2, 80% on 3, 100% on 4 and 90 (something percent) I don't have my log book in front of me, on quiz 5.

I then had a final exam. I scored 92% on. I missed one question because I misread it, the unconsious diver question becauseIassumed I was in the water and thought it was more important to get myself buoyant then help the diver, and OOA handling order. For some reason I kept thinking buddy breathing before alternate. I had to discuss that one verbally and now think I have the order right. There was one other I missed but don't recall it at the moment.

I then showed my gear off to my instructor. "Wow, that's an old regulator." he said while looking at my donated, unused, three year old Sherwood Classic. He liked the Aqualung Octopus XLC as well. He's gonna setup my gear this week and test and maintain it so I can pick it up when I go back.

I then went to the locker room and got my swim trunks on. I went out to the pool and followed my instructor to the deep end side. He says that I have to swim 200 meters, I was hoping for yards myself, that's four full laps of the pool. At the moment there was a buoy barrior up. I asked if that was the opposite end of the pool for me and he said "Nope, I don't think we'll make things that easy for you." :)

I got out of my chair and crawled to the edge of the pool. I sat down with my feet dangling in the warm pool water and paused. I've been in a wheelchair now for 29 years and I always get into a pool by scooting down the steps. Here I was wondering what to do to protect my back and the back of my head from poolside damage, then I remembered one of the Quicktime vids I watched which showed a disabled diver putting each hand on one side of his body and pivoting into the pool. My arms are kinda short and not terribly strong so I knew I couldn't do so exactly the same way.

So I put my right arm across my stomach and pushed off with my left while I pivoted slightly. Off the edge of the pool I went, clear down to the bottom in 12 feet of water. My feet hit the bottom and I bent slightly at the knees. I thought to myself that this situation was interesting. I didn't know I could sink like that.

My instructor had never seen me in a pool, or swim, so I wonder if he had an anxious moment. :).

Anyway, I kicked off the bottom of the pool ad shot back to the surface. I doubt I was underwater for more than a couple or three seconds all told and wasn't the least bit concerned myself.

Boy this is getting wordy.

I touched the side of the pool, then started swimming to the other end to do my four laps. My instructor warned me that this wasn't a speed run and to take my time. I said that I had no problem taking my time. I swim pretty well, not pretty fast.

So here I was swimming and listening to the music on the loudspeakers, and singing along when I saw a shape. It was a woman in full dive gear practicing. She was swimming towards the deep end of the pool and was maybe five feet or so below me and slightly to my left. I was envious.

So I swam to the shallow end of the pool, which turned out not to be so shallow. I was concerned about kicking the bottom which is why at home I swim laps across the width of our apartment building pool rather than the length. I didn't kick the bottom.

I touched the other end and started back. I sang to a song that I like while it played on the speakers. I touched the deep end side and started lap two. I continued to the shallow end, touched and headed back. A twelve year old boy passed me. Damned I am slow.

I started my third lap with no trouble. Started my fourth lap then thought "What if I can't make it? I'm a bit tired but feel okay, but I've got nearly 50 meters to go." I told myself to shut up and keep swimming. We'll I made it. Then I had to tread water for 10 minutes.

While floating a few feet from the wall I watched a class of three women in their 60's getting out of the pool and preparing to clean up their gear. I chatted with my instructor and I just listened to music.

Finally my instructor said that I'd done my ten minutes and asked me to exit the pool.

I couldn't get out unaided at the end so swam to a nearby ladder and pulled myself out. I can't climb the ladder at home but this one was pretty easy considering how much work I'd just done.

My instructor drove my chair to me and I climbed back in. (Note to self, bring a towel for the powerchair. My seat cushion is still wet after seven hours.)

My instructor said the hard part is over and starting this coming Saturday we'll be doing the skills. Plus because of my disporportianate body I'll be learning to use a drysuite since my arms and legs are so thin that I'd have a hard time making a wetsuite work for me.

Now I'm really hyped up. And people thought I was making them nuts before. :)

You go! Sounds like you've got the right drive to get the job done. Keep us posted, and don't worry about the wordiness. Made my night to read your post...

Good on you James.

I hope you keep up the descriptive stories of your journey of scuba diving. I certainly lets us relive that excitement of starting out.

Everyone is different. You may need a drysuit, but there are lots of folks wearing wetsuits who must use a wheel chair. It sounds as if you'll need a custom suit, but a suit off the rack doesn't fit me well either. Can you use your legs in swimming? I'd be concerned about putting someone in a dry suit who as limited use of their legs. I freely admit that divers in dry suits who have disabling conditions is well outside my area of expertise, but I'd be concerned about your ability to recover from a feet first ascent.

A three year old regulator is old? My everyday regulator is 16 years old. I have some old regulators I don't use regularly.

Sounds like you're doing well, keep it up. See you on the reef.

Thanks all for your comments.

Hi Walter:

You bring up some valid points.

I do swim with my legs though my cordnation isn't the best since I haven't walked in 29 years.

I have small feet. I wear size 3 to 3 1/2 boys shoes. I seriously doubt I will be able to wear an off the shelf drysuit or wetsuit.

Though he called it old, I don't think three years is too long. I'm sure my Sherwood Classic will get many years of use. I think also my instructor was impressed considering his surprise that my friend never used it.

Walter once bubbled...
Everyone is different. You may need a drysuit, but there are lots of folks wearing wetsuits who must use a wheel chair. It sounds as if you'll need a custom suit, but a suit off the rack doesn't fit me well either. Can you use your legs in swimming? I'd be concerned about putting someone in a dry suit who as limited use of their legs. I freely admit that divers in dry suits who have disabling conditions is well outside my area of expertise, but I'd be concerned about your ability to recover from a feet first ascent.

A three year old regulator is old? My everyday regulator is 16 years old. I have some old regulators I don't use regularly.

I would have to say that a drysuit would need to be custom built as well... and like Walter I would be concerned about the extra gas expanding in the drysuit on ascent... but for perhaps an additional reason. If your legs and arms are thin then an *off the rack* suit fitted with smaller boots will have too much material in the extemities. This could cause a buoyancy problem on ascent.

Since the expense of a very custom drysuit is so much more perhaps you should consider a custom made wetsuit. An additional benefit: a custom wetsuit would be more streamlined uw.

Hi UP:

I'm glad I found this place. It becomes more and more obvious that I have some interesting challenges to overcome.

I'm sure for most of the pool sessions I'll be wearing a shorty wetsuit. The pool is heated to 80 degrees and would likely be intollerable in a drysuit.

I could get a wetsuit custom made for a lot less than a custom made drysuit, but could I swim around the waters in the Pacific Northwest without freezing my bunz off? I don't know.

My instructor and I are taking the slow and easy approach. Hopefully we'll be able to work through all these issues. I won't move on in diving unless I'm sure of myself and my equipment.

My safety is important to me. Not that you could prove that based on me riding wheelies in my powerchair yesterday off a curb cut. Cassi gave me a hard time over that. :)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I would have to say that a drysuit would need to be custom built as well... and like Walter I would be concerned about the extra gas expanding in the drysuit on ascent... but for perhaps an additional reason. If your legs and arms are thin then an *off the rack* suit fitted with smaller boots will have too much material in the extemities. This could cause a buoyancy problem on ascent.

Hi James, many people use wetsuits in the Puget Sound. I have a drysuit not because I was cold in a wetsuit, but because it's more convenient to get out of my suit and be dry. I could wear a wetsuit if I needed to for fit.

-K

I dive in Southern CA. The water on my dives have been about 64 to 68 degrees ...except when we went deep 121 feet and it was 49 degrees.....anyway, for my OW class pool sessions wee wore full 7mm wetsuits in a pool that was heated to 80+ degrees. We didn't have to wear the hoods, but everything else....LOL

Have fun....I loved learning how to dive and I will always remember the first time I went in the ocean....:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom