Is it OK for a non instructor to do a refresher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A pooldive is not a dive. If there must be a dive in the logboek (or liebook), then make a normal dive. Only to 5-6m is enough to count as a dive. And then for sure no official real refresher is needed anymore. Then the last dive was recent.
So that is the thing, make a real dive, don't do an unofficiall pool refresher.

A pooldive is not a dive. If there must be a dive in the logboek (or liebook), then make a normal dive. Only to 5-6m is enough to count as a dive. And then for sure no official real refresher is needed anymore. Then the last dive was recent.
1. Although to get" officially" labeled as a refresher, it would normally be done with an instructor, the OP does not state any need for an "official" endorsement, just a refreshing of skills.

2. Why is putting it in a logbook important if you are just refreshing skills? I can't estimate how many times I have gone to a pool to work on my skills, and I never saw a need to put those sessions in a logbook.

3. There is no rule anywhere for what goes in a logbook. If you are doing a dive as part of a certification course, the instructor is required to reach certain minimum standards for course dives, but if you are diving on your own, there is no minimum standard for depth or time. As noted in #2, there are no rules for what you put in your logbook.

4. Pool-only refreshers are done all the time, including being done by certified instructors and being given "official" status.

Considering as a kid I grew up watching Cousteau, where the Aqualung symbol, was that of the aqualung
and was never into scribbling aqualung symbols on peoples faces, when they fell asleep on the schoolbus

I will present this one instead as a show of my undying love for buddy diving as long as the buddy is a girl

View attachment 817560

and look at em today going down past 100 metres barely
moving like a submarine but with the gear on the outside

Spooky scary, give me being smashed by the ocean dangerous any day
OMG!! Masks on forehead and snorkels!!
Oh the horror!

“If” I was still going to do this, which I decided two pages ago that I am not, I would want to see them perform in a pool before I took them in the ocean.
Once I saw a no mask drill, some basic reg clearing, and smooth air shares, plus some knowledge reviews such as physiology and such, then we could move onto the ocean. But I’m not, I’m leaving it to a professional because I’m not an instructor and it’s not my job.
So this point is now moot and this thread is dead.
Thank you.

If you guys still want to hash this out have at it.
I have other stuff to do.
Later.

1. Although to get" officially" labeled as a refresher, it would normally be done with an instructor, the OP does not state any need for an "official" endorsement, just a refreshing of skills.

2. Why is putting it in a logbook important if you are just refreshing skills? I can't estimate how many times I have gone to a pool to work on my skills, and I never saw a need to put those sessions in a logbook.

3. There is no rule anywhere for what goes in a logbook. If you are doing a dive as part of a certification course, the instructor is required to reach certain minimum standards for course dives, but if you are diving on your own, there is no minimum standard for depth or time. As noted in #2, there are no rules for what you put in your logbook.

4. Pool-only refreshers are done all the time, including being done by certified instructors and being given "official" status.
I talk about doing a dive. Not about an paid official refresher. Just doing a dive is enough to get without paid refresher in the water with a divecenter as the logged dive is recent. It does not mean the diver is good enough. But the diver is already certified. The logbook is not really important, but you have to tell a divecenter that your last dive was within the last 6 months. So maybe they will believe you with your blue eyes, maybe a logbook will make it easier. I don't get warm if people log pooldives, better said, I have never seen that. But I talk about a logbook because blue eyes are less believed than a new number and date in a lie-logbook.

Practising skills is also not limited to an instructor, every diver is allowed to do that. And that is what was the question of the topic starter.

But I talk about a logbook because blue eyes are less believed than a new number and date in a lie-logbook.
If I needed a new number and date in a logbook, I could take care of that in about one minute. Of course, I don't need it, and I have this thing about honesty.

And if I did a a refresher in a pool I wrote it it up in my log book, all training dives are logged.
If I was standing in a puddle showing them how to do a pre dive check, I would log it, only joking, :cool: you get my point, litigation is real.
Cover you backside as best you can as a dive pro, have a record.
Mates running through a few skills, that is another thing.

If a refresher student requested it, i would give them a letter stating that on such and such a date they demonstrated proficiency in all basic safety skills and/or sign their log book.

Not really germane to the original topic.

And if I did a a refresher in a pool I wrote it it up in my log book, all training dives are logged.
I'm with you on this. In past years we have had many threads on logging dives, and for reasons I never understood, some instructors would say with evident pride that they never logged training dives. I always thought they were out of their minds. Those are the dives I made sure I logged.

If a refresher student requested it, i would give them a letter stating that on such and such a date they demonstrated proficiency in all basic safety skills and/or sign their log book.
And hear is the rub of the matter. If things went pear shaped, any half decent lawyer would ask what professional training you had to assess whether a skill was performed correctly. You could be putting your assets, including pension funding up for grabs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom