Meeting up with sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok.. after seeing thoes pics.. he has a lot more guts than i do... just wondering though.. if sharks arent as dangerous as people say they are (unless your bleeding) then why do the Lifeguards evacuate the beach or not allow you to swim if there are sharks in the water?... is that just as a precaution incase something were to happen? None the less thoes are some amazing pics that he took..

like I said, swimmers at the surface are much more at risk. Hence they will clear a beach.

As a Divemaster in Hawaii I hear similiar questions all the time. Your fears/concerns are not uncommon at all. Sharks are a hard critter to become educated about for most people. Couple that with the fact that they are mis-represented (and have been for decades) as vicious killing machines - and it's a huge uphill battle to convince people THE TRUTH ABOUT SHARKS. For those of us that have been fortunate to spend countless hours/dives with these amazing creatures our perception is very different. Fear is quickly replaced by respect and appreciation for these awesome animals. Don't deny yourself the opportunity to experience something as wonderful and mind blowing as Scuba Diving! A lifetime of incredible underwater experiences and memories is at your fingertips - and will include sharks no doubt should you join the diving family. Ask anyone on the board....you'll be glad you did it.

Keep in mind that not all sharks look at you and think "yummm, lunch!". I have been diving with lemon and nurse sharks that couldn't have cared less that I was around. I have also been around barracuda that acted as though I wasn't even there.

Then again, if I ever see a tiger shark, I will probably crap my pants right then and there. It all boils down to me loving diving so much that I would rather chance it with sharks than avoid the water.

Sharks are vicious eating machines but they have no interest in eating divers...except for the one in Jaws. True story, that.:D

Really, they're a big animal that are rarely seen by divers that aren't looking for them. I've had more funny encounters with sharks than scary ones. Also, look at the statistics of shark attack compared to other violent attacks. Of all the shark attack stats SCUBA divers are a miniscule percentage of casualties.

I don't know where you live in Canada but when you walk to the store or the city park do you worry about bears attacking you in town? Didn't think so. It's about the same thing.

Enjoy SCUBA diving, it'll change your life. That change and the fun of being a diver is worth a chance encounter with a shark that will no doubt swim away from you IF you are lucky enough to encounter one. If you disagree then maybe you should consider another hobby.

Sea ya!

in all the years I have been diving I am still creeped out by sharks. there fun to view from a distance but...

Just remember, they are flesh and blood, they can only eat so much. So, dive with buddies who can't swim as well, and tend to panic easier than you. That way the sharks will get filled up before they can get to you.

Who is it that has the great quote along the lines of "Dive with a buddy, reduce your chance of being eaten by 50%"?

Well sharks, I have heard alot of things. I am not concerned so much, but I have a question. I have heard there are places to dive, mainly the Carribean, where sharks are like dogs. I have heard that if you don't pet them/give them attention that they will swim over to you, kind of encourage you to pay them attention. Any truth to that? I used to think an octopus is freaky, now I want to dive with one. But back to sharks, I have been told by marine folk that they only attack people at the surface, because they can confuse us with food, not so when we are in the water with them. IN fact in the shark thread I saw a guy diving with a great white off the North Shore. Not sure I would but the pics were awesome.

P.S. found that forum link, want the story look here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=123693

I was scared of sharks when I went to go get me cert, and I grew up on the coast and spent my summers at the beach in the water. The way I overcame my fear was for 2-3 months before I went for my OW class I read everything I could find on sharks. I educated the fear away. People fear what they don't understand and sharks is a great example of that. That is the type of fear that Hollywood preys upon with movies like Jaws (not bashing their tactics).

So get some good scientific books on sharks and educate yourself on them. I bet you'll feel the fear melt away. They are beautiful creatures. I have encountered about 15 here on Oahu and I only got certified last October. Each time I have been between 5-20 feet away and treasure every experience. In fact some of my dive buddies dive with me because I seem to attract sharks. :D

Back
Top Bottom