Hi everyone! Headed to the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark2189

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone!

My wife and I just got our advanced open water scuba cert but have under 10 dives. Yesterday I booked a trip on a livaboard in the Maldives in March! After watching some videos and reading some articles I’m hoping I didn’t make a mistake.

Are these dives going to be centered around shark chumming? We haven’t seen a shark yet and I’m a little concerned how my wife will react. I think if we saw one in its natural environment she would be fine but picturing sharks zooming by her eating cut bait worries me. This may be just a newbie concern but I wanted to get some input.

Also we were told the Maldives were good for beginners when we booked the livaboard. I’m pretty confident that we have a lot of the basics down but obviously still have a lot to learn. I think we can figure out latching on during heavy current dives. What else should we be concerned about. Do you think we should spend the extra money and hire a private guide? We’re already at the top of our budget as it is, but definitely don’t want to ruin anything for other divers.

Thanks!

Hi,

Conditions in the Maldives are generally fine. It should be almost perfect in March. Most operators also don't chum the water, as the government does not allow it. I guess the main thing is to feel comfortable on your dives, and the dive operator should be able to assess your level during the check dive.

Enjoy your holiday.

Hi,

Conditions in the Maldives are generally fine. It should be almost perfect in March. Most operators also don't chum the water, as the government does not allow it. I guess the main thing is to feel comfortable on your dives, and the dive operator should be able to assess your level during the check dive.

Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks for your input!

Hi everyone!

My wife and I just got our advanced open water scuba cert but have under 10 dives. Yesterday I booked a trip on a livaboard in the Maldives in March! After watching some videos and reading some articles I’m hoping I didn’t make a mistake.

Are these dives going to be centered around shark chumming? We haven’t seen a shark yet and I’m a little concerned how my wife will react. I think if we saw one in its natural environment she would be fine but picturing sharks zooming by her eating cut bait worries me. This may be just a newbie concern but I wanted to get some input.

Also we were told the Maldives were good for beginners when we booked the livaboard. I’m pretty confident that we have a lot of the basics down but obviously still have a lot to learn. I think we can figure out latching on during heavy current dives. What else should we be concerned about. Do you think we should spend the extra money and hire a private guide? We’re already at the top of our budget as it is, but definitely don’t want to ruin anything for other divers.

Thanks!
Hi - having done 2 liveaboard trips in the Maldive, I am a bit surprised that the Liveaboard advised you that this is a beginner friendly trip. Liveaboard diving in the Maldives is, in my opinion, at least intermediate diving given the deeper average depths for repetitive dives and frequent current situations. You definitely need to have decent buoyancy control and be comfortable in currents ... With 10 dives, I think that might be too much too soon. At the very least I would recommend getting a personal dive guide for the first 2 days so that you have someone watching over you closely and ready to help out if needed. Once you get a feel for your abilities and comfort level, you can decide on whether u need the personal guide for the remainder of the trip. Also be honest and open with the cruise director on your experience level and your comfort level so they can advise you accordingly. Remember at the end of the day - you are responsible for your safety so don't let someone force you into a dive that you are not prepared for.
That being said.. the Maldives is a great dive destination and I'm sure you will have a great time and will grow in your diving.

Enjoy !

The Maldives is an excellent place to dive but my wife and I were both surprised at the currents we encountered. It was a great learning experience but a little intimidating at times. As stated above letting the dive operator know your skill level and diving with a dive master/guide you be a very good idea. Also while we did see some shark's during our dive it occurred in mellow manner. My wife who was concerned about them initially did quite well. Best of luck and enjoy, it's a beautiful place to visit and dive.

We just came back from a trip. At least 5 divers on our liveaboard were doing their AOW & Nitrox training during the trip. There is indeed current, but very manageable during our time. Briefings are great and current direction & strength is always checked before you go under and dive plans are adapted. You learn the use of reef hooks to watch the sharks & manta's. The boat put us in groups and dive plans were adapted to the experience levels of the divers. Zero incidents, fantastic diving.
Just make sure you're on a 'no minimum dives' required liveaboard.
Chumming happens outside Malé harbour (last day dives) and it attracts rays, sharks,... and in one other location where they hide small pieces of fish in the sand to attract (harmless) nurse sharks. It is impressive to be surrounded by so many of them.

Having dove the Maldives last year, I would agree with the comments of others that you will need to keep your diving to depths that do not exceed your experience level. They will pair you up with similar experienced divers if you are not already in a group. A dive master should be available to provide guidance to ensure safety. This should allow you to enjoy your trip.

Additional commentary.

Most shark observation was done from a safe distance. I would advice staying clear of the tiger shark encounter. Also ask in advance during the dive briefings if you will be swimming in water that local food (mainly fish) processing facilities are releasing their effluent into the surrounding water since it does attract sharks, other large fish, moray eels, and sting rays. Most of these are more interested in the easy food from this source than any other source as long as you stay out of their way to their food... keep in mind you are in their natural territory.

In the event you are interested in seeing some very large moray eels and sting rays that are will feed from what we could tell, the dive shop at the hotel Kurumba Maldives provided a dive trip to a near by area that we were able to see numerous of these well fed animals. They were fed from the effluent from a local fish processing facility. There were a couple small to medium size sharks that also took advantage of the food source but if I remember correctly they were nurse sharks and left most of the active feeding to the eels and sting rays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom