Operator error?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dascubadweeb

Reaction score
:confused: :confused: :confused:

O.K. folks. I've never been (nor ever will be) known for being graceful...maybe it was bad luck.

Just before my last trip I purchased a back/up computer. (Mosquito). Bought it 2 days before the trip. Also, I had my trusty BC (Oceanic Bio Flex)....(love that BC) serviced.

During the trip, after about 5 dives I screwed up my primary computer by accidentally changing it from air to Nitrox. Did I have my manual with me to tell me how to fix it? Of course not! Did anyone else have the same model computer to help? Of course not! (My first thought was "good thing I bought a back up)!

On the last day, my mosquito's (brand spanking new, mind you) battery died! Not to mention a hose on my BC flat came out of the darned thing! Fortunately this happened at the end of my last dive!

Anyone else have that type of luck?

about your misfortunes. As a possible preventive measure you may want to try doing a pool dive or shallow water dive with new or recently serviced gear before going on the dive trip. Not sure that this would have helped in your case but it might give you a heads up that somethings not quite right. Hope you have better luck next time.

If you are going to invest in a dive trip, and you dive with a computer, always, and I mean always carry extra batteries for your computers even if you just put new ones in, it is cheap insurance. On a side note, hopefully you are proficient with your tables, and wear a watch or carry a bottom timer so that it is no big deal if both of your computers go out.

Thanks JT2,

I have a Roatan trip planned for March and was certainly intending to change the batteries in my computer before the trip. Didn't think to bring an extra set, but I will be sure to do that. Any other wise tidbits? :wave:

It's a good lesson to everyone to have the batteries of a computer replaced especially if there is absolutely no way of knowing exactly how much battery time there is left on the computer.

The Mosquito, having user replaceable batteries (and cheap too) should be replaced after purchasing. Have a backup ready just in case as well when you go diving.

newwavedivers once bubbled...
It's a good lesson to everyone to have the batteries of a computer replaced especially if there is absolutely no way of knowing exactly how much battery time there is left on the computer.

Well, some dive computers do not have user replaceable batteries (you have to send it in for service). The older Uwatech 'Aladin' series is just one example. So far as I have seen, these all have a setting that allows you to see a battery level % number. The user is expected to check this regularly and send it in for service when it gets below a certain value.

Having said all that, I've been using an Aladin sport for about 4 years naow and havn't needed to replace the battery yet. Oops, now it's probably gonna quit on me. :wink: Must appease the dive gods...

True. I used to have an Uwatec dive computer and sending it in for battery replacement from the Philippines takes a long time.

People who buy non-user replaceable computers should first check the remaining battery life. I would say that it should have at least 90% at the miminum. If less, insist on choosing one with the highest remaining battery time or agree with the seller that you will buy it if they replace the battery first.

Y'all won't believe THIS! My other half had HIS UWATEC Aladdin serviced before the trip - it had 96% battery life left and the service place FORGOT to check transmitter battery! HIS went KAPUTE too!

My Mosquito showed 70%+ battery life left when I bought it. Fortunately I dove with 2 computers (on every dive - that I had both working) and didn't lose any diving time. I think the more you dive, you're likely to encounter some FUNKY stuff. It was odd - but my diving was uninterrupted.

Besides, ya never know - it may have been an operator error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom