Suunto Vyper conks out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubazerg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is an issue that happened almost a year ago with my trusty old Suunto wrist Vyper. I've posted a video of my 17 year old Suunto Vyper that I've taken on many dives. See Youtube video link here: Vyper conks out

Pic also below.

Shortly into an ocean dive in the Mediterranean sea, it started giving erratic depth readings and flashing/changing P02 readings and beeping at an irregular rate (8-12 seconds) while under water. When I took it to the surface it also thought it was in dive mode and kept flashing. I had to pull the battery to get it to stop beeping and flashing these numbers (it did not detect surface mode). Unfortunately, I waited over 12 hours to pull the battery because I didn't have tools handy on the trip, and it overwrote years of dive log data. This was pretty annoying because I didn't back up some of that data due to laziness with the Dive Manager software + serial cable, and it was lost forever (few years worth gone).

After the battery pull, it basically went back to normal and I took it into a shallow pool later on and it didn't have any issues. It registered a depth of 7 ft or so. It's been sitting on my desk right now and it's not acting up.

I guess my question is what happened here and whether I can trust this computer on any more real dives. Have a trip to Cozumel in about 3 weeks so I could buy something else or just rely on a backup computer that I have. I like wrist watch computers, my backup is an old Sherwood computer integrated into the regulator with a poor display and one button setup (which I also dislike). I am trying to find a pool to test dive my stuff for this trip.

vyper_conkage.png

Your computer is 17 years old. Depending on how much you dive, a new computer - or new to you (used) might be in order. Check with a dive shop in your area to see if you can get in on a pool session.

Sounds like symptoms of pressure sensor membrane failure. Have had this occur on 4 of my cobras in the past 2 years. All of them older than 12 years old.
Wasn't able to reset mine, though. They just up and STB. The membrane over the sensor softened and tore. In one case the membrane became gel-like and sticky.

It sounds like its just too old. Can anyone make a recommendation for an advanced recreational (im rescue level) wrist dive computer that is not too conservative, clear display, has a backlight, nitrox support, extensive dive log, intuitive interface, can download data to PC and is under $400. Will the Mares Quad Wrist Computer fit the bill?

It sounds like its just too old. Can anyone make a recommendation for an advanced recreational (im rescue level) wrist dive computer that is not too conservative, clear display, has a backlight, nitrox support, extensive dive log, intuitive interface, can download data to PC and is under $400. Will the Mares Quad Wrist Computer fit the bill?

Look for a used Shearwater Peregrine. Here you go. Bit more than your budget, but Shearwater computers are the gold standard.

Look for a used Shearwater Peregrine. Here you go. Bit more than your budget, but Shearwater computers are the gold standard.

You've got me interested in this Shearwater Peregrine computer but I don't really like buying used electronics from a stranger, especially something like this that my life depends on. I would rather pay the extra $100 and get the full 2 year warranty. It looks like it has a nice display on it. By the looks of it, Shearwater doesn't put their computers on sale but I'm looking at some online dealers that I've used in the past that do not charge tax and shipping. Divers Direct and House of Scuba fit the bill and can get it for a $550.

Can you tell me some of the big perks of this computer over the standard Suunto puck computers like the Suunto Vyper? Is it durable with good battery life and is it serviceable and easy to transfer dive log data and produce reports?

Yes to all the above. You can search Peregrine and spend a couple of hours reading positive feedback.

You've got me interested in this Shearwater Peregrine computer but I don't really like buying used electronics from a stranger, especially something like this that my life depends on. I would rather pay the extra $100 and get the full 2 year warranty. It looks like it has a nice display on it. By the looks of it, Shearwater doesn't put their computers on sale but I'm looking at some online dealers that I've used in the past that do not charge tax and shipping. Divers Direct and House of Scuba fit the bill and can get it for a $550.

Can you tell me some of the big perks of this computer over the standard Suunto puck computers like the Suunto Vyper? Is it durable with good battery life and is it serviceable and easy to transfer dive log data and produce reports?
A much better online retailer is DiveGearExpress. You don’t pay sales tax if you live outside FL and free shipping for this amount of a purchase.

Shearwater is the gold standard for dive computers. They’re made in Canada. US based customer service is excellent. Big colorful screen. Easy to operate.

If you’d prefer another Suunto over Shearwater, I can’t help you. I have three Shearwaters myself: 2 Perdix AI, a Petrel 3 on my rebreather, and several transmitters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom