Backup computer for when your main fails while in diving trip ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A buddy team does dive same profile.

No they do not. To dive the "same profile" with regard to NDL calcuation, they would literally have to be connected. No buddy team stays at the exact same depth for the exact same duration throughout the entire dive. Arguing two buddies have "the same profile" is simply not true. It's impossible.

No they do not. To dive the "same profile" with regard to NDL calcuation, they would literally have to be connected. No buddy team stays at the exact same depth for the exact same duration throughout the entire dive. Arguing two buddies have "the same profile" is simply not true. It's impossible.

It doesn't have to be the exact time and depth by minute and inch to be the same profile. A deco model isn't that precise. I tried to explain that at least once already. You're trying mark with a pencil based on a rough model and cut with an axe. You're supposed to dive conservatively and don't push the limits of any computer for that reason.

I gotta go now. This is such a wast of time.

This thread is hilarious. OP stated his situation, end all be all perfect world scenario is both dive backups. The end. If money was no object this would be the answer. There's so many things that can happen underwater anything else is just a bandaid that may or may not work, or worse get you bent. 2 computers is GUARANTEED to get you to the end AND continue with all remaining dives without second guessing anything.

I don't use my alternate reg hardly ever.. should I get rid of it because I can make it without it? Lol... I probably could, but it's not a guarantee.. and I like those!!

It's completely unnecessary to use a 500 Dollar spare computer for NDL dives. In NDL buddy diving the buddy is spare gas and computer/depth gauge, that in fact is industry standard.
. . .
Telling people to just spend 500 or even 1000 Dollars per person because of some made up safety issue is weird to me. You also can't 'spread 500 Dollars over five trips'.
Again, the question was if a cheapo computer will do as a spare for trips. It's does.
You replied to my post, but neither I nor the posts I have read used the word "necessary." Also, neither I nor the posts I have read have been "telling people to just spend 500" dollars on a backup computer. I have no idea what dive computers cost these days. I used $500 as a completely made-up example, my point being that you could conceptually allocate $100 of your trip budget for each of five trips toward that. If you can get a backup computer for less than $500 then that's even better.

A backup computer is a nice thing to have, as it avoids having to decide whether and how to continue a dive trip. The backup computer using the same algorithm as the primary computer would also be a nice thing to have. Not "necessary," though--no. Some people may attempt to just follow their buddy's computer, but that is not the most conservative way to handle the situation. There is some risk, and the amount of risk depends on a few factors that one should consider. It's not for me to tell others what their risk tolerance should be.

Until they don't [dive the same profile] because they got separated 🤷‍♂️
That kind of scenario is what I was referring to when I said, in effect, "it depends." Because my buddy and I have pretty strict buddy procedures, we might be willing to rely on the other's computer. But if we were to become separated, then that's the end of that plan. End the dive and offgas before resuming diving.

[
The reason I have two computers is on a Turks and Caicos live aboard my Datapro 3 when to deco on the third dive when I hit 15 feet. I had been well within NDL limits on the second dive and we had a 2 hour surface interval. The Datapro locked up for 24 hours. Lucky I had an OC1 DC I had also been using. The boat loaned me a SPG that day and another computer the next day.

Just a followup. If I didn’t have a backup computer I would have a couple of choices. One wait 24 hours and dive with a new computer. Use the tables to calculate my current nitrogen load and dive the table for the rest of the trip. Since I am old, I still know know to use tables.

I am an electrical engineer with 45+ year and I know electronics fail. In a sport that has its own hazards I see no issue with a backup computer. We all have or should have a octopus.

I wear a Garmin G1 as a backup to my Perdix. The algorithm is close enough to the Perdix for me (i dont dive that close to the edge) and while i would miss the large bright display, the Garmin would get me through a trip.

I like the fact that i don't have to remember to pack the Garmin or check that it's charged (it's always on my wrist), and it has a lot of smartwatch functionality that you don't get from a standalone computer.

Spending $1000+ on a backup Perdix for a once in a blue moon eventuality seems very extravagant to me.

I am comfortable with a single computer, even on solo dives because I have a watch, know the depth and have a decent idea of my ndl.

I do think it is kinda funny that people seem fine carrying no scuba redundancy and relying on a buddy for air should a problem occur, but seem so uncomfortable with using the buddy’s computer as a guide to finish out the dive. Seems like relative risk is lopsided to me.

I had a computer fail a few weeks ago before the dive and then used the back up computer I keep in my gear bag, but I very rarely take 2 on a dive unless I am not confident the primary will work.

I am an electrical engineer with 45+ year and I know electronics fail. In a sport that has its own hazards I see no issue with a backup computer.
Yep. And the cost for a backup doesn't need to be too much. Yes, you could spend north of $1500 on a backup, but you could also spend a fraction of that. Especially when considering the amount people spend on dive vacations, charters, etc. If your computer fails on the first dive of a 3 tank charter, now what? You sit topside for the other two dives? That's likely the safest option. A backup computer sounds cheaper now.

Back
Top Bottom