Deep 6 Excursion Dive Computer vs Garmin Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islanddiver23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello braintrust -

Long time reader, first time poster...

Core question: Any recommendations in choosing between a Garmin Descent G1 and a Deep6 Excursion DC?

What kind of diving am I doing: Mostly diving on trips to tropical locations where we are doing a bunch of other activities (kite surfing, actual surfing, hiking, etc). Not a ton of local or liveaboard diving in my near future.

Level of Diving: My wife and I are both AOW (recently realized we didn't have our deep specialty, so are getting that in the next few months). We've done about 125 dives each. I'm interested in gear that will allow me to get into tec diving, but have no immediate plans to do so.

DC Background: I dove for a long time with an Atomic Cobalt that flooded on a recent trip to Cozumel. While Atomic(/Suunto...) offered some killer deals on a Suunto computer as a replacement, I wasn't keen on the algo they were using or the deco lockout that can occur. Not looking to debate that point, I know folks have feelings about it. My wife (primary dive buddy) has a Garmin Descent MK1 and loves it. I contemplated getting a Descent MK2i because I'm used to and like AI. I actually purchased and dove with a Perdix, but didn't like having a wrist mounted computer, so ended up selling it. I thought about a Teric, but wasn't sold on the battery life, and figured that if the Descent Mk2 would cover more of my activities and was at least similarly capable as a DC, it would be worth going in that direction. Given the more recent Garmin watches have advanced beyond the Descent Mk2, I feel like a Mk3 might be on the near horizon. This has all brought me around to figuring that I should get a computer that will work for a dive trip I have in 2 months, but hold out for a Mk3i as a primary when it is released (and cross my fingers that they move away from sonar for AI because that sounds annoying).

Back to the question: From reading around these boards and scouring the internet, I think I've narrowed it down to the two DCs in the title (Descent G1 vs Deep6 Excursion). Price difference seems somewhat negligible (give or take $150). Both would be fine backups for either a Descent Mk3 or a Shearwater if I get dragged back in that direction based on using the same algo. The G1 would cover other activities, but it's not clear if the Deep6 is a fundamentally better device or has some other factor that I'm not considering (better visibility/brightness/display/cutomization/etc).

Thank you so much for reading a relatively long post. If this has already been discussed somewhere else, let me know and I'll go look there!

The G1 would cover other activities, but it's not clear if the Deep6 is a fundamentally better device or has some other factor that I'm not considering (better visibility/brightness/display/cutomization/etc).
If you’ll use the Smart/Activity functions of the G1, it’s a no brainer. I opted for the MK2s because I wanted something a bit fancier for professional settings. But from a functionality perspective above and below the water, the G1 is just as capable as the MK2s.

If you use the Garmin Dive App, the dives will be automatically transferred to your phone when it’s in range. Other apps are compatible as well, just not wirelessly per Garmin requirements.

The G1 will also offer location data for your dives, the Excursion does not.

From a diving perspective, the Garmin supports single gas, multi gas, ccr, and apnea diving modes. I’m not positive if the Excursion does apnea, but I think the rest are covered.

Algorithms are the same, Custom GFs, etc. So if just diving with it, the Excursion could save a few bucks. If using out of the water, the G1 will be better.

If you're planning to get an MK3 as your primary then I think you ought to get the cheaper one (Deep 6) for your backup. Garmin models usually get more expensive with each generation. MK2 was more expensive than mk1 and mk3 will be more expensive than mk2. Deep six will give you some flexibility in your budget. The many advantages of the G1 for non-SCUBA use won't matter when you get the mk3, which will be even better in that regard. The MK3 will be based on the Fenix 7, which is definitely better than the Instinct 2 (platform upon which G1 is based) for all fitness, health, tracking, and outdoors uses. Finally, using different brands for your primary and your backup will automatically back up your dive log. Not a big deal, but maybe a tiebreaker. Rumor has it that the MK3 is coming out in October, so you won't have long to wait for those non-scuba features.

I love my MK2i. I think you'll really enjoy the MK3.

If you change your mind re getting an MK3 as your primary, then definitely get the G1. You sound like an active person, so you'll like all the features.

Thanks both, very much appreciate the thoughtful insight!

@SKS22 - I'm curious if that timing will pan out for the MK3. Seems like displays of MK2i are still getting refreshed, which seems out of sync with a new device coming out so soon. On the other hand, the cryptic twitter (I think?) message and comments on seeing it on a rep make it feel like a release during or just before DEMA (mid-Nov) may be in the cards.

Hello braintrust -

Long time reader, first time poster...

Core question: Any recommendations in choosing between a Garmin Descent G1 and a Deep6 Excursion DC?

What kind of diving am I doing: Mostly diving on trips to tropical locations where we are doing a bunch of other activities (kite surfing, actual surfing, hiking, etc). Not a ton of local or liveaboard diving in my near future.

Level of Diving: My wife and I are both AOW (recently realized we didn't have our deep specialty, so are getting that in the next few months). We've done about 125 dives each. I'm interested in gear that will allow me to get into tec diving, but have no immediate plans to do so.

DC Background: I dove for a long time with an Atomic Cobalt that flooded on a recent trip to Cozumel. While Atomic(/Suunto...) offered some killer deals on a Suunto computer as a replacement, I wasn't keen on the algo they were using or the deco lockout that can occur. Not looking to debate that point, I know folks have feelings about it. My wife (primary dive buddy) has a Garmin Descent MK1 and loves it. I contemplated getting a Descent MK2i because I'm used to and like AI. I actually purchased and dove with a Perdix, but didn't like having a wrist mounted computer, so ended up selling it. I thought about a Teric, but wasn't sold on the battery life, and figured that if the Descent Mk2 would cover more of my activities and was at least similarly capable as a DC, it would be worth going in that direction. Given the more recent Garmin watches have advanced beyond the Descent Mk2, I feel like a Mk3 might be on the near horizon. This has all brought me around to figuring that I should get a computer that will work for a dive trip I have in 2 months, but hold out for a Mk3i as a primary when it is released (and cross my fingers that they move away from sonar for AI because that sounds annoying).

Back to the question: From reading around these boards and scouring the internet, I think I've narrowed it down to the two DCs in the title (Descent G1 vs Deep6 Excursion). Price difference seems somewhat negligible (give or take $150). Both would be fine backups for either a Descent Mk3 or a Shearwater if I get dragged back in that direction based on using the same algo. The G1 would cover other activities, but it's not clear if the Deep6 is a fundamentally better device or has some other factor that I'm not considering (better visibility/brightness/display/cutomization/etc).

Thank you so much for reading a relatively long post. If this has already been discussed somewhere else, let me know and I'll go look there!
I know someone with two Deep6 Excursions that might be looking to sell them. Let me know if you want to contact him.

I wanted a smartwatch (gave up on an old Apple) and started looking at Garmin. I ended up with the G1 as I can use it as a backup dive computer as well as for other sports and activities. I love it. Easy to use, has internal altimeter so I don’t have to mess with altitude settings (I live at 7000’) and it records your dive location on Google maps. I got the solar model, but if I did it again, I would not pay the extra for that option. It is a great, all around dive computer + watch.

i can’t speak to the other computer you are considering (I use an AI Suunto Eon Core for my primary computer).

can you send me a DM? I'm under the posting limit, so they think i'm spamming!
He has decided not to sell. His two sons will use them as backup to their new (actually, used) Peregrines. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom