Experienced diver wants a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Servicing in my vocabulairy means sending it to a dealer and having multiple parts replaced. - this is what I do not want.
Battery replacement is something I can do myself, if it is that difficult that the manurefacturere wants it back for this - for me it is a no - go DC.
Potentially. Battery replacement with phones these days is doable, but sometimes better left to professionals. I took one in for a battery service a while back. Glad I did. They ended up cracking the screen on replacement, so they replaced that as well (no extra charge). If I had replaced the battery, I'd have had to get a new screen as well.
Firmware is also something I want to update myself. having said that. if I have need a weekly update I start to wonder wat kind of engineer they had working onthe software to start with.
Agreed. Firmware update should be able to be done by the user. I can easily do this with every computer I've had. My kids' Oceanics required a cable, but are now past support, so no updates made available by the manufacturer, for a while. My Shearwater can easily be updated by Bluetooth connection and Shearwater Cloud app. My Garmin can be updated via cable and Garmin Express, or just by the watch itself if connected to WiFi.

Edit to add: Firmware updates and availability should be a strong consideration. Many companies simply stop providing updates when the computer moves to an obsolete status. That's fine and somewhat expected. Based on my experience, this is an area where Shearwater excels. They have continued to provide updates to legacy computers up until the point where it is no longer possible. Apart from the Teric and Predator, all models share the same firmware base. Petrel 1 is somewhat added to that list as the firmware for the rest of the group exceeds hardware limitations of the Petrel 1.
Regular interval service will need to specify what they will do that is required, otherwise it is a marketing returning sales trick. How often do you send your phone is for servicing?
I've only sent my phone in once for a battery replacement. However, my phones tend to get replaced more frequently than my dive computers. Plus, the dive computers need to be able to survive in a harsher environment, so the comparison to phones is not really a good one.

And regarding Shearwater computers, Divetronix website lists exactly what is done for each model during the general service.
The pressure sensors are "consumer grade" so they have tollerances to deviate. The house needs to be sturdy enough that I can drop if off my wrist by accident without worries. If you "bang up" your computer that bad that the sensor needs replacing, either the computer is not made well or you are a moron throwing your gear around and/or not looking after it.
When I said the dive computer gets banged up a bit, I wasn't referring to the pressure sensor. I was referring to the computer itself getting scratched up. Granted, the scratches are often not an issue underwater, but if they make it hard to read the settings topside, then that should probably be addressed.

Most of my computers have a user replaceable battery. Battery compartment is separate from the rest of the computer, so replacing the battery is fairly straight forward and low risk. With integrated rechargeable batteries, that's often not the case as they aren't designed for regular replacement. So popping these open might also require pressure testing to be sure everything is still water tight. I don't have a pressure chamber at home, so if I were to need to replace a battery in one of these, I'd more than likely send it in for service.

I think you'll have a hard time finding a dive computer manufacturer that states service is never needed. Most will recommend service at some point.

Battery replacement is something I can do myself, if it is that difficult that the manurefacturere wants it back for this - for me it is a no - go DC.

The computers that have rechargeable batteries will need to be sent back to a dealer that is qualified to do it. This, however, is done once every 8 - 10 years. I don't have a computer with rechargeable battery that I had for that long yet.

Firmware is also something I want to update myself. having said that. if I have need a weekly update I start to wonder wat kind of engineer they had working onthe software to start with.

It isn't that frequent. The couple of computers I have that had firmware updates only had it done once or twice a year if at all. Mostly feature updates.

Regular interval service will need to specify what they will do that is required, otherwise it is a marketing returning sales trick.

No manufacturer I know "requires" it, they may suggest it if at all.

How often do you send your phone is for servicing?

We aren't talking about the same thing here.

My two quatlows,

go with AI, it really makes diving easier and enjoyable. If you have a transmitter go with something that matches that, as I refeect on proprietary transmitters it matters little if you haven’t already got one as they are all somewhat proprietary, for where you are located SP, Ratio and Suunto and maybe Garmin are good choices, SW is a great computer but with some reports of slow European service may not be the best choice. You are familiar with SP so it may be the best choice.

Hello, Interesting that u got so many replys to your question, May I add this, if your interested, I have an Suunto Eon Core w/ Suunto transmitter, newly serviced for sale $650. US. Included charging cable, attached bungee straps & standard wrist strap. If your looking for used or second hand, reply and we can discuss at length. I bought a 2nd. computer for dive buddy & she quit, so now I have (2), needing only one. U can also contact me Email - L3.dbsscwi2gmail.com
Dan, if you still have the eon and pod i am interested.
Thanks,
Frank

Marc - As you are in Europe I would suggest you look at Heinrich Weikamp OSTC computers:
  • Large, bright color display that can be customized.
  • User-replaceable 14500 rechargeable battery that is recharged in the housing
  • Can use standard AA's in a pinch.
  • Open-source firmware that is updated regularly.
  • Buhlmann algorithms
  • You can upgrade the firmware later for trimix and/or rebreather modes if required.
They are made in Germany, and I was impressed by the service.

When searching for a Buhlmann computer earlier this year my choice came down to Shearwater or OSTC: I went with OSTC+ as I much prefer its display and layout: bright & large text for my old eyes.

Cheers,
Rohan.

... and I was impressed by the service.
They have great reviews and they fix stuff within a week and sometimes for free even after the warrenty period. WAY better and faster than Shearwater in Europe.

I don't think anyone ever sends their sw in for service. I don't think is really needed.
I bought my Perdix AI in August 2018 after my Suunto pressure sensor died.

I have done firmware updates to V87 and have never sent it in for a service. I just slipped in a new battery today and ran through the systems. They seem to be working fine.

For the OP I do not use the air transmitter. I use a Digital Cressi Digi2 console which I am quite happy with. Can get replacement battery cheap and new seals from Cressi agents. I bought a few so can change whenever. So many new DC's on the market but I have not been happier than with my Perdix and several hundred dives on it. Especially great on night dives when you can clearly see the digital display.

A lot of my dive buddies use the Perdix or the Teric and some use other DC's.

I live in Asia and have been starting to see a lot more Shearwaters lately. I am planning to get one for my wife soon. Servicing factors late in my calculus if at all while, like @marc78 , reliability is the leading coefficient. Ease and avalability of battery replacement are also high priorities. The Perdix just takes one AA battery and you open the compartment with a coin. The downside being customer service which is probably worse for me than for someone in the EU.

I never owned one or even used one but I can say the hype is not limited to Scubaboard, people I have met and dived with were very happy with them. Honestly sounds like something you'd want to check out.

I'm going to join the chorus for Shearwater.
I prefer dedicated dive computers over watch style dive computers. Having to recharge the Teric every two days, even when you're not diving, makes living with it a bit of a nuisance. A dedicated dive computer you just switch on when you're ready to hit the water. A used Perdix AI will save you a bit of money. They're pretty readily available now that the Perdix 2 has been released. Many people will want to upgrade.

Other than the haptic feedback, the Perdix AI and the Perdix 2 are pretty much the same. You won't notice a titanium bezel, and the plastic one on the AI does just fine. Button sensitivity isn't necessary, and the aluminosilicate glass may be a tiny bit tougher, but you're not likely to crack your screen on an AI either. Haptic feedback is nice to have though. The Perdix doesn't have an audible alarm, and the vibration will alert you when something needs your attention.

If you don't need AI, go for the regular Perdix or the Peregrine. The Peregrine has haptic feedback as well, so that gives it a plus over the Perdix unless you're planning to venture into technical or rebreather diving. Though for rebreather I'd definitely go with a Petrel 3 with a 4-pin or a Fischer connector. At that point, money shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Back
Top Bottom