It's 2024, do we have a decent computer yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I started diving, roughly 8 years ago, I bought an Oceanic Geo 2.0, and thought it would be, "good enough," until the industry got its act together and came out with a better computer at a reasonable price.

The Geo shows depth and time to NDL and supports nitrox, so in that sense, it is "good enough." I like it because it's small, streamlined, and doesn't draw attention to itself. The disadvantages are legion. Display is hard to read, UI is difficult to use, needs a new coin battery every year, clock doesn't keep very good time.

Has the market settled down and produced a good computer yet? User-replaceable battery (I hate disposable gear), good display, easy to use, no larger than necessary, cheap?

The third possibility is rechargeable. Many options.
Rechargeable batteries usually have a shorter life than the devices they power. It is rare for them to last 10 years. Even if rechargeable, I want to be able to replace it. My regs were all built in the 1970s.

Rechargeable batteries usually have a shorter life than the devices they power. It is rare for them to last 10 years. Even if rechargeable, I want to be able to replace it. My regs were all built in the 1970s.
You are comparing a mechanical device to an electronic device, in terms of lifetime?

I recommend you use tables. No batteries, they don't wear out. they will outlast your regs. And you. :)

I still use my Suunto Vyper from 2003, just recently inserted new battery, which will last for ~2 years.

We have 4 Suunto ZOOP Novo wrist units.

Replaceable battery lasts forever and the Suunto algorithm that was changed in the NOVO series is less conservative (but can be made more in personal settings.)

Diving 31-32 % NITROX everywhere in the world (Raja Ampat Indonesia last November live-aboard and Maldives in February, Red Sea last summer) I haven't found bottom time lacking at all.

The majority of traveling tropical divers are diving above 130' using NITROX or maybe AIR.

Being an Apple guy I may spring for the Apple Ultra 2 Watch before Bali in 4 weeks. Oceanic App for full no-deco sport diving can be bought for one week, one month or all year for peanuts. Plus I use my current Apple watch for exercise fast walks and more......The display is incredibly bright and intuitive.

Just one old guy's opinion so feel free to disagree LOL.....

David Haas

Old photo so don't judge my mask, fins and previous Suunto ZOOPS. I got over 1,500 dives on those before picking up several barely used SUUNTO ZOOP NOVOS for peanuts :)

IMG_1938.jpg

Nope not really unfortunately, I still keep tables, and I am amazed by all the freaks who rely on their electronic computers

One day it will bite them in the ass, mark my word

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom