It's 2024, do we have a decent computer yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are comparing a mechanical device to an electronic device, in terms of lifetime?
Yes. The mechanical device has moving parts that wear, so its lifetime is inherently limited. The electronic device ought to be able to go forever. It's not like it has vacuum tubes or something.

I recommend you use tables. No batteries, they don't wear out. they will outlast your regs. And you. :)
I still need a depth gauge then. Hard to find one that I like. Most of the analog ones are unnecessarily thick and chunky.

Yes. The mechanical device has moving parts that wear, so its lifetime is inherently limited. The electronic device ought to be able to go forever. It's not like it has vacuum tubes or something.
You don't service your reg?

Shearwater make some really decent computers... :nyah:

It's either Shearwater (or OSTC3/4 maybe), or whatever else as bottom timer with a dive plan in wetnotes :poke: .

Actually, I would kill for a decent bottom timer that displays time, depth, max depth, average depth, with a display from this millennium (looking at Scubapro 330 dinosaur).

It is as good as the weakest link. One degraded component (ex. capacitor) in a critical place and kaput. Electronics reliability is a probabilistic endeavor ...

So far (outside of lab work) everything has been 'Indirect" modeling and basically a guess of what your blood might be doing.

I think the next big thing will be "direct" blood monitoring and letting AI crunch all the sampling data to give the user a realtime, real data on what his body is doing underwater. Yes there are still plenty of tech hurdles to get there. My wild guess is in 5 years we'll see the 1st live prototypes and it will come out of the Humans to Mar's programs cause they are going to have some huge Deco problems to overcome.

People recommending tables might be doing square profile tech dives but for any place else in the world you won't be using them.

OK, maybe if you dive locally in your pond, lake, etc. But virtually no resort near an ocean offering 2-3 + more dives a day ain't going to let you dive tables.

If you don't own a simple under $200.00 NITROX / AIR computer they'll rent you one and that's ONE per diver.

Been diving 55 years and watched this argument as equipment innovations came along. Sport diving evolved from a single steel tank, no SPG, a j-valve,and no BCD to what we have today. Because of BCDs, Octopus reg, and finally dive computers we can safely explore underwater multiple times / day.

I have several tables on my bookshelf including Canadian DCIEM, NUWAY tables (Google it), several PADI iterations including the Wheel (again Google it!)

They are fun to look at and recall how limited our dive times / depths were. But use them for sport diving? NO way.......

Just one old guy's opinion LOL.....

David Haas

EvolutionOfDivingSME LARGE.jpg

I think the next big thing will be "direct" blood monitoring and letting AI crunch all the sampling data to give the user a realtime, real data on what his body is doing underwater. Yes there are still plenty of tech hurdles to get there. My wild guess is in 5 years we'll see the 1st live prototypes and it will come out of the Humans to Mar's programs cause they are going to have some huge Deco problems to ovovercome.
There is already a computer with a Doppler sensor. Maybe the next step is an implant?

I have a 24 year old Suunto Cobra that is still going strong and have never had to cut a dive short because of it and I am in no way a conservative diver. I think that I'm only on my 6th or 7th battery?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom