OMS HP Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8fuldiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just curious if folks are using the new OMS HP tanks. I have not seen or heard anyone talking about or using them. Are they out there? Who's using them?

-E

Was PST

Faber will be manufacturing the new OMS high pressure tanks. It will be the same as the new FX series.

The OMS website is showing these "hot dipped" galvanized tanks. After speaking with the LDS, it sounds like that style tank is no more, and the current offering is a white painted tank made by Faber. That was a pretty short run for those galvanized tanks. Anyone know why they stopped producing those after only a year? Was there a problem with them?

I would like to hear any feedback this board might have on these new "white" tanks from OMS/Faber. I am considering purchasing 2x100 for doubles and a 119 for single tank diving. Everyone on this board is talking about Worthingtons and PST. I have enjoyed using the LP Fabers in the past and would like to hear about the HP's.

There has got to be someone on this board using them. Or more importantly, why nobody seems to be using them.

-E

Faber X series is the pretty new tank. Joel & Randy at www.techdivinglimited.com is a realy expert on all Faber tanks... Even, the tanks are on sale at this moment. Sweet deal!

gr8fuldiver:
The OMS website is showing these "hot dipped" galvanized tanks. After speaking with the LDS, it sounds like that style tank is no more, and the current offering is a white painted tank made by Faber. That was a pretty short run for those galvanized tanks. Anyone know why they stopped producing those after only a year? Was there a problem with them?
They were being produced by PST, who is/was undergoing reorganization/bankruptsy.

gr8fuldiver:
I would like to hear any feedback this board might have on these new "white" tanks from OMS/Faber. I am considering purchasing 2x100 for doubles and a 119 for single tank diving. Everyone on this board is talking about Worthingtons and PST. I have enjoyed using the LP Fabers in the past and would like to hear about the HP's.

There has got to be someone on this board using them. Or more importantly, why nobody seems to be using them.
The Faber FX series is reasonably new, with PST and Worthington beating Faber to the 3442psi take punch. Faber makes great tanks. You could argue that the hot dipped galvinized (Worthington, PST) are more durable in salt water, however. I'll second that Joel at Tech Diving Limited would be a good person to contact with your questions.

gr8fuldiver:
I'll only spend my money on steel cylinders with a Hot Dip Galvanized finish. Any other exterior finish is a distant second place. When steel is Hot Dip Galvanized it is dipped in molten zinc at over 800F. The bond of steel to zinc is formed at the molecular level. You can find more information at this past thread, http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=129877&highlight=galvanizing

Up until a year ago (or so) OMS sold Faber cylinders with a painted exterior finish. Their directions for care are still up on their site:

CARE
Always remove the boot after every dive

Always wash your cylinder with fresh water and mild soap, or Corrostop after every dive

Always store your cylinder without a boot and in a dry area

Never drag your cylinders

Frequently Inspect your cylinder, in the band, boot and valve area for any signs of corrosion.

Any signs of corrosion, impact or otherwise must be repaired immediately. Failure to make immediate repairs to corrosion is consider neglect.

Ocean Management Systems Inc.
PO Box 146 Montgomery, NY 12549
845-692-3600

This is like buying a car that requires you to remove the sparkplugs each time you're done driving it.

gr8fuldiver:

-E

escalondiver:
gr8fuldiver:

This is like buying a car that requires you to remove the sparkplugs each time you're done driving it.

LOL~~~

This is the funniest post I've read in months.

escalondiver:
gr8fuldiver:
I'll only spend my money on steel cylinders with a Hot Dip Galvanized finish. Any other exterior finish is a distant second place. When steel is Hot Dip Galvanized it is dipped in molten zinc at over 800F. The bond of steel to zinc is formed at the molecular level. You can find more information at this past thread, http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=129877&highlight=galvanizing

Up until a year ago (or so) OMS sold Faber cylinders with a painted exterior finish. Their directions for care are still up on their site:

CARE
Always remove the boot after every dive

Always wash your cylinder with fresh water and mild soap, or Corrostop after every dive

Always store your cylinder without a boot and in a dry area

Never drag your cylinders

Frequently Inspect your cylinder, in the band, boot and valve area for any signs of corrosion.

Any signs of corrosion, impact or otherwise must be repaired immediately. Failure to make immediate repairs to corrosion is consider neglect.

Ocean Management Systems Inc.
PO Box 146 Montgomery, NY 12549
845-692-3600

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom