UK Light Cannon 100 HID - Performance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with NiCad’s is that if you do not discharge properly the batteries do get a memory and will not last very long(battery cycles). But if you do treat them right you will not have that problem and will last a long time(battery cycles). NiMH batteries do not get memories but will not last for as many cycles as NiCad’s. When I buy my HID light I will be getting NiMH for the convenience of not having to discharge all the way before charging like you do with NiCad’s. With NiMH batteries the more the load the less cycles you will get, another words the same size battery will last longer, (battery cycles) with a 10 watt HID then it will for an 18 watt HID. Remember I’m talking cycles (How many times you discharge and charge the battery) not the burn time.

Rechargeable batteries is a far better value then putting none rechargeable batteries in every time you dive.

A few more questions...

Can I just go into any RadioShack store or similar and buy rechargeable NiMh batteries for the UK Light cannon? There are several kinds differing in their mAh (and price!)... Which mAh should I buy that will give me the same burning time as of alkalines? All in all it seems I will have to spend +/- $100 for 8 rechargeable NiMh C batteries + charger... Which batteries did you guys buy?

jonnythan: I need it for freediving spearfishing... That is why I can't use a canister type light.

NITF: Thanks for the info. Which rechargeable batteries would you recomend buying?

BILLB: I don't know "who" :) I will be in the US next week for 10 days and I want to buy one of these + rechargeable batteries at the lowest price I can find... where should I look for?

Thank you all,

It seems I am going to buy the UK Light Cannon HID. Even though I understand that the design is definitly not flawless, it is more or less in the high end of what I am willing to spend for a light and I understand that it is the brightest I can get.

Can I just go into any RadioShack store or similar and buy rechargeable NiMh batteries for the UK Light cannon? There are several kinds differing in their mAh (and price!)... Which mAh should I buy that will give me the same burning time as of alkalines? All in all it seems I will have to spend +/- $100 for 8 rechargeable NiMh C batteries + charger... Which batteries did you guys buy? And where? (I will be next week in the US for only 10 days, 3 days NYC, 4 days Atlanta and 3 days in Miami so buying from the net is out of the question {it'll take too long to get to me in a reasonable S&H cost} is there a good shop somewhere?)

THANKS!

4000mah Nimh have been working great for me. No complaints either.

I also echo the comments about letting the light stay on for several minutes and then not switching it back on quickly without a cooldown period. Seems to be working well for me so far.

--dawg :)

I've been using a Light Canon HID since March as a primary light for cave/sump diving. Apart from being rather heavy to helmet mount (as is the preference for UK cave divers) it is an excellent source of illumination and very robust. I run it using a set of 4 Ah NiMH cells and it does 2-3 hours easily. Previously I owned an AUL Meteor 10 HID but soon broke the bulb and eventually got rid of it - the UK light has not suffered the same fate despite being very hard on it (i.e. taking it in a cave).

No problems with turning it on and off - it is a good idea to let it come up to full brightness over a few seconds but don't believe any of this baloney about leaving it on for several minutes. Having accidently switched it off underwater the arc can be restruck within a few seconds so as not to leave you in the dark. Although the switch has a locking mechanism - I have a rubber loop cut from an inner tube around the body to stop it being knocked on when transporting it.

Several other UK sump divers have this light and they are generally very pleased with it.

Duncan

NetDoc once bubbled...
and when you get to shell out $85 way too quickly, you too will believe.

It's a consumable then - like the rest of my dive gear....

OK - so maybe you don't want to use it like a strobe though...I must admit to not testing it straight away when I refit the NiMH's and now only turning it on when I'm about to dive so as not to cycle the bulb/ballast unnecessarily. Probably true of most lighting systems.

I've also heard of the lens cracking on someone and the switch (like the rest of UK's lights) is a potential weak point. Its a good light though for the price.

Duncan

I have heard that there's a rechargable pack for this light. Is anyone aware of this? With that as an option, I think that would be superior to batteries of any kind.

If the UK Light Cannon gives 3-4 hours on regular alkalines, how many mAh NiCad's or NiMh should I get to give me the same performance? In other words, how many mAh are regular alkalines?

It seems - because of budget limitations - I am going to buy NiCad's 2000 mAh with a recharger that discharges the batteries before it recharges them. Will I get 2 hours at least from this setting?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom