FLOODED camera . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zorrr2

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
:huh: :huh: :huh:

Well I guess it was just my turn in the FLOODING cage . . though I took every precausion I could think of !!

My Oly 5050 in a pt105 housing FLOODED a few weeks ago while I was on vacation down in Roatan.

Now lets take a look . . . I had preped the camera (and housing) that morning . . . cleaning and cheacking all ORINGS. As a matter of fact I replaced the door ORING (with a NEW oring) because I detected a nick or two in the previous ORING. All were lightly geased and closly examined for any fibers (was using a photo . . lint free rag to wipe down and clean). Closed the housing and checked all controls . . all looked good.

Later that morning was handed my camera after entering the water and started my decent . . at about thirty feet I had a habit of checking my housing for any problems as I desend . . and much to my horror . . I saw the door ORING being pushed out between the closuer as if internal preassure was forcing it OUT . . ????? Now I imediately started back up . . but I watch helplessly as water started to trickle in . . GRUNT . . by the time I handed the housing to the boat person . . it was to late. He imediately opened the back . . but water had already gotten to the camera . . . which is now nothing but a glorified paper weight. :banghead:

Now correct me if I am wrong . . . but I thought water preasure on a housing usually forces the ORINGS into a housing . . not OUT as I was seeing . . so this has me scratching my head . . ohhhhhh well . . I guess every one has a flood at some time or other . . and I have had mine . . so NO MORE !!!

utnapistim:
yeah ... join the club :(

Did you by chance do a giant stride with the casing in your hand?

Zorr2:
Later that morning was handed my camera after entering the water and started my decent

Zorr2:
I saw the door ORING being pushed out between the closuer as if internal preassure was forcing it OUT

Compared to the hinges where was it being pushed out, near the hinges, opposite from the hinges. Very strange :06: :06: :06:

Whatever happens test it without a camera to see if the problem re-occurs.

My guess is that your new oring popped out just before you closed the lid and you did not notice it. Orings are molded in a round form, the camera housing has almost a square shape, a new oring needs time in this new form in order to stay in place.

Unless the oring is ready to crack or has a deep cut leave the oring alone, just wipe down the oring with your bare index finger and slowly close the lid, looking carefully at the sealing surface.

A bit of sand particles or a small piece of lint will not damage an oring and the oring in most cases will seal. If you do have to change the oring take the housing down for a test "dive" without the camera. Good Luck

f3nikon:
My guess is that your new oring popped out just before you closed the lid and you did not notice it. Orings are molded in a round form, the camera housing has almost a square shape, a new oring needs time in this new form in order to stay in place.

Unless the oring is ready to crack or has a deep cut leave the oring alone, just wipe down the oring with your bare index finger and slowly close the lid, looking carefully at the sealing surface.

A bit of sand particles or a small piece of lint will not damage an oring and the oring in most cases will seal. If you do have to change the oring take the housing down for a test "dive" without the camera. Good Luck
No f3 . . . that would have been to EASY to see. I am 200 % sure BOTH ORINGS were seated cleanly within the housing.

An NO . . I would NEVER giant stride with a camera !!!!

As for where it poped out . . like I said before . . "at the bottom . . 6 oclock" . . not near any hinge . . not on any side . . . almost dead nuts middle of the "BOTTOM".

The oring in the door is already stretched fairly snug around the door. There just is no play in the oring when it is seated within the doors channel. So something was forcing it OUT . . and that is the head scratching question . . ??

yes, definetly take the housing down empty and eyeball this. Sounds like the o-ring was not seated right. Seems to me I know of a lot of those 5050 floodings...makes you wonder a bit about the housing design. If the ring was dry and caught on the edge of the groove, I can see it extruding outword maybe? I have been told the purpose of the silicone is not to seal, but to allow lubrication needed for the o-ring to "float" glide, reduce friction in the groove as the pressure increases.

Oh Mark. I'm so sorry. You never mentioned this. So, what kind of new camera you gonna get? An SLR?

f3nikon:
Orings are molded in a round form, the camera housing has almost a square shape, a new oring needs time in this new form in order to stay in place.

The oring for my camera housing was a square shape that fit the housing VERY nicely.

Also, don't forget to check the oring once it's installed. I actually check the oring AFTER I have sealed the housing. The seal of the oring is very obvious when looking through the clear camera housing. You can thus make sure there is a solid seal all the way around -- twice I've caught something breaking the seal by doing this extra check.

Sorry for your loss...

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom