Question TG-5 PT058 housing issues - other options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_anak_pulau_

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone đź‘‹

I'm looking to purchase a new UW housing for TG-5.

I am on my second PT-058 housing now. The first one had sand stuck around the o-ring off all the accessories button, and the clear plastic part of the hinge also started to have minor cracks after about 100 dives. Whilst both these issues didn't cause immediate problem, both would have eventually caused a leak. Sent to Olympus AU service center, they quoted for cleaning and o-ring replacements for the buttons and the case, but ended up offering a replacement case for about 70% of the cost of a new case.

This second housing also slowly started accumulating sand within the accessories button holes. Clear part of the hinge has also started cracking, with some other parts of the case also weirdly cracking. I've never dropped the housing before or placed heavy stuff on it, and have always hand carried in a padded camera case when travelling. No leak so far, but I can see it happen imminently.

Has anyone else encounter similar issues?

I am now looking at getting a new csse. Unsure if I want to give the PT a go, maybe the PT059 this time (borrowed a friend's, fits TG5 fine it seems)? Has anyone else used other brands of housing for TG aside from Seafrogs? I'm somewhat interested in Marelux or Nauticam, but not sure if it's worth the 2.5 - 3x price difference. Any thoughts is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240118_195118.jpg
    20240118_195118.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi, I upgraded from a PT058 to the Nauticam housing NA-TG6 and never regretted it. It's certainly more expensive than the Olympus housing but it's very well engineered, compact and extremely ergonomic. If you plan to keep using your TG5 for a few years I believe it's a good investment. One thing worth noticing is also that the same housing can be used with TG5/6/7.

Weefine/Kraken also has a metal housing for TG-5/6/7, somewhat less expensive than Nauticam. No personal experience, but it has some interesting features, such as an internal 18650 battery to extend the camera's battery life, and an M16 port that allows you to connect an external monitor by HDMI.

Another interesting alternative to Nauticam is the housing from Isotta. I had the chance to fiddle with it during a dive show a while ago and looks very robust, has no frills, it's cheaper, and the color is nice too. The only element that steered my decision towards Nauticam was that you can not add an LCD magnifier if you need to.

It seems brilliant and certainly useful in case the OP needs an LCD magnifier and decides for a housing which does not offer an off the shelf alternative.

Weefine/Kraken also has a metal housing for TG-5/6/7, somewhat less expensive than Nauticam. No personal experience, but it has some interesting features, such as an internal 18650 battery to extend the camera's battery life, and an M16 port that allows you to connect an external monitor by HDMI.
I saw the weefine aluminum housing at an expo the other day, seems to be longer than the PT. The seafrogs aluminum housing is also heavier than I'd expected.

Back
Top Bottom