Exposure protection for Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for not getting back onto this board in quite awhile, for some reason my computer wasn't liking this website. Anyways thanks for the input, I am use to diving cold water in california and in Canada, but I think the 3mm full suit/shortie with long arms may be in order to protect fromt eh jellyfish.

Well now things have changed and I am scheduling interviews over the weekend with a few companies, so which leads to my next question how much more expensive would it be to live in hawaii, and what are some examples of costs.

Steve

I've been told that Oahu is 25% higher than most of the continental US in just about everything... and Maui is 25% higher than Oahu :wink:

aaen:
Well now things have changed and I am scheduling interviews over the weekend with a few companies, so which leads to my next question how much more expensive would it be to live in hawaii, and what are some examples of costs.
Steve

Compared to where I live - Miami. Gas was about $1.20 more per gallon. At the local supermarket - most food seem to be double and some triple what I pay in Miami.

I did some drives around Kihei and Napili - looking at houses. For houses that looked to be in similar areas to what I live in now, the cost in Kihei was $800,000-$900,000 for a house. The cost in Napili was $1.1 to $1.3 million. My house cost me $450,000 when I bought it 1 1/2 years ago and is currently valued at about $550,000. Also, keep in mind one big difference: my current house is 2700 sqr feet Not counting the garage with 1/2 acre lot. The lots were smaller in Maui than what I have now & the houses in Kihei were around 1500-1800 sqr ft. I don't remember the sqr footage of the ones in Napili, but they were two story and looked closer to the size of what I am living in now.

Now there might be a lot better housing options elsewhere in Maui. I only looked at one area in each town - more for curiosity sake than any real plans to move - although like a lot of people, I would like to do that someday.

--Mike

Just got back in from Maui, and I woul dhave to say island life is for me, kind of reminded me of being home for some strange reason maybe it had something to do with the friendliness of the people or beign back on the water, SIGH.

Anyways interview went well, just a mattter of some negotiations and i should be all set, if anyone is living in Maui and could offer me some advise on relocating there then by all means fill me in, or point me in the right direction. BEst spots to live that are reasonable cost, not super inflated, yes I realize it is expensive to live there but for good reason(ISLAND LIFE), there must be some decent places to rent for about a grand or so.

Anyways any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Up-country, particularly places like Makawao. If you get away from the beaches, you'll find cheaper places.

Makawao is about 10-15 minutes away from Pa'ia beach, about 20-30 mins away from Kahalui Airport, and about 30-45 minutes from the south shore (Kihei), depending on time of day, traffic, whether or not there's a slow truck ahead of you, etc.

Cheers,
Doug

:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom