Where's our winter viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding:
So, heading roughly south, I'd put the time more afternoonish, if this is August, then 4-5 ish.
Heading ... 120 ... you and I just did that route last Friday night ...

.. Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Heading ... 120 ... you and I just did that route last Friday night ...

.. Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, more southwest, given that, I stick by my mid to late afternoon guess.

That looked a heck of a lot different on Friday night, for one thing, where is Junior?

Okay, throwing my hat in the ring. :)

The sun goes behind the hill early in the day, and the ambient light wouldn't be strong enough to cast shadows like that in the afternoon. I would guess 9-ish in the morning.

Uncle Pug:
Semi-correct: August, ie: summer.

That is the funny thing about Puget Sound:

Summer is usually the time when we have reduced visibility due to algae and plankton growth but there are times when we have >70' visibility along with abundant light. During those times we get a plenary view of dives sites we are accustomed to navigating by landmark and Braille.

Winter is usually the best time for decent visibility but during times of high run off and/or high wind caused turbidity, the visibility can be some of the worse.... zero in some cases.

I expect things to clear up a bit in January.

True, regarding summer viz. The source of our bad viz is all the upwelling (from storms and from colder surface water sinking and forcing bottom water up) that takes place during the winter. This brings the bottom decay (fertilizer) up to the surface and waits for the more direct rays of the sun to hit in spring. We have a bloom and viz is bad. It dies off and gets better. We have another bloom but it's not as bad since no more decay comes up from the bottom (this only happens in the winter) so by the end of the summer we have great viz.

As mentioned, we have great viz is the winter when it isn't raining with the associated run off but since it rains a lot in the winter late summer can be the best viz of all.

By the way your picture was taken in the morning.

Uncle Pug:
3:34pm according to the camera's digital time stamp... I'll go back and check my log. Wait... I don't have a log.

I'll take my 4-5 pm second guess, that isn't too far off (once I knew which way those logs were pointed . . . )

Dive Bear, I really dig that pic of Keystone.

Back
Top Bottom