Poke a hole in your hood for venting??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always get air in my hood. I just squeeze it out with my hands when it gets uncomfortable. Not a big deal.

I got tired of being a conehead diver, so I poked holes too :D

Some hoods & beanies come with unseen air holes. Mine did not, so I used a skinnyg screw driver heated on the stover top to poke a few in each - allows for air to release.

Had nothing to do with this diver's problem.

Piercing a hole in the top of your hood alows air to vent from the top of the hood
Your husband's hood is too small

Jeremy Bouwman:
I always get air in my hood. I just squeeze it out with my hands when it gets uncomfortable. Not a big deal.

I never thought about poking a hole through my hood, and I always get "cone-head".
I squeeze it out just like Jeremy, several times throughout a dive. In fact, I've gotten so that I look forward to the point that I squeeze out the air, because as I run my hand from the back of my head to the front, the air has warmed up a bit and warms up my forehead as it rushes out.

I'd think that a tight fitting hood, if anything, would fit better at depth, as the air cells in the neoprene would contract and make it thinner. I agree with everyone else though... the tightness had nothing to do with the lack of a vent hole. It's just a bad combination of big head & small hood.

MSilvia:
I'd think that a tight fitting hood, if anything, would fit better at depth, as the air cells in the neoprene would contract and make it thinner. I agree with everyone else though... the tightness had nothing to do with the lack of a vent hole. It's just a bad combination of big head & small hood.

I would agree with this. My hood feels a little less tight at depth due to the neoprene thinning. I don't imagine an air bubble in the hood would cause an increased choking sensation either because the trapped air would also compress the deeper you go.

It must be a small hood or, since it was choking, perhaps the neck of his wetsuit was too tight.

Anybody think that maybe this guy was wearing a dry suit with a latex hood and no snoopy under it?

murrayp4:
Piercing a hole in the top of your hood alows air to vent from the top of the hood.

Piercing a hole in your tongue is quite painful.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I get the cone head thing going on especially when I wear my beanie instead of my full hood. But that seems to make it looser, not tight. If there is any truth to that story, I imagine it was quite terrifying. I've gotten stuck in a hood out of the water (tried it on- too small). That was terrifying, too. Heck, I've gotten stuck in a wetsuit out of the water. I even got stuck in a t-shirt once. Don't tell anyone, though.

trucker girl:
Piercing a hole in your tongue is quite painful.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I get the cone head thing going on especially when I wear my beanie instead of my full hood. But that seems to make it looser, not tight. If there is any truth to that story, I imagine it was quite terrifying. I've gotten stuck in a hood out of the water (tried it on- too small). That was terrifying, too. Heck, I've gotten stuck in a wetsuit out of the water. I even got stuck in a t-shirt once. Don't tell anyone, though.
Uh pierce your benie, not your tongue. :silly:

Back
Top Bottom