Best thing you learned in OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247:
I have an interesting reply to this one. This was during my DM internship on the island, but it was in an OW course.

I realized that as new divers we are easily fascinated by some of the strangest things.
The USMC newbies we certified in one course kept clammering over something in the sand in front of them. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them. Upon further investigation I discover that they have located a hermit crab the size of the head of a small sewing push pin. Since I had black gloves on I picked it up and they passed it down the line carefully so everyone could see it. They gladly passed it back to me so I could put it back where it was.
That is such a sweet story!!!!!!!!

spectrum:
That instruction only scratches the surface. Study independently and dive with a spirit of continuous improvement.
Totally agree with this.

As for me, the best thing that I learned in OW is that nailing skills that you had trouble with initially can really help your confidence a lot! I hated doing CESA in my initial OW class, and was really worried that I couldn't do it. Since I'm one of those kind of person that an itty bitty problem can throw me off, it kind of affected me a bit too much. Later, when I redid my OW, and successfully did CESA, that really helped a lot!!! I was really surprised how much it affected me.....till I did it successfully.

Guess the point of the story is that don't take it for granted whatever that worries you in scuba diving. If you have a problem with something, work at it till you accomplish it. It gives you a peace of mind, no matter how transitory it may be......and that's worth it.

During my entire OWD course I had been getting by with my buoyancy but did not feel comfortable with it. On our last ocean dive of the course the hose began to leak on my BCD. My instructor disconnected the hose and made sure I was OK with inflating it orally. I finished the dive using only my breathing to control buoyancy. This small problem turned into a huge learning opportunity. I guess this also ties in with the whole solving problems underwater thing.

The best thing I learned in my OW class was, Stop, Breathe, Think, Act...and keep the regulator in your mouth...:)
K

I had a problem with mask clearing. On the 4th try, my instructor sat on the edge of the pool, an assistant went in the water. The instructor then threw my mask in the deep end and told me to go get it. I did, it wasn't as hard as I though it would be! No more mask clearing problems since.

He also told me that every dive is a good dive. I remember laying on my back next to him in the shallow end watching the rain hit the surface and thinking that was the coolest thing in the world. ~

cowdog77:
I remember laying on my back next to him in the shallow end watching the rain hit the surface and thinking that was the coolest thing in the world. ~
That is something I enjoy doing as well when the sudden storms come through.

The neatest thing I learned in my OW class ws breathing the bubbles from a free flowing regulator. I was really surprised at how far the regulator could be from my mouth and I could still breathe just fine. I initially thought the instructor had lost his mind when he told us what we going to do.

Plan Your Dive / Dive Your Plan & If Uncomfortable Pull Yhe Plug It`s Not Worth A Life Or Accident .

Secure your tank.
One of the instructors at our LDS would not tolerate an unattended, upright and unsecured tank on his watch, either on the shore or on his boat. "Hand on the valve, or secure the tank," was his mantra, and no OW student was allowed to forget it.
The few rogue tanks and "domino cascades" I've seen on other boats kinda prove his point.

The good lessons have already been mentioned. But I do remember learning the hard way not to inhale through my nose with my mask off.

Back
Top Bottom