New diver gets CO poisoning during OW training and gives up diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What was the ER diagnosis and treatment given to the new diver? That would answer some questions.

Would "ER down in Mexico" do a CO blood test for symptoms of tequila poisoning?

(As I understand it, CO tends to start clearing out once the source is removed, so the blood sample is best taken right away and not after the patient's de-kitted, showered, dressed, and walked/drove over to the ER.)

So what's on the market in terms of handheld CO testers these days? People who bother to test their air, what are you using?

We are the only dive shop around that not only tests for OCA air quarterly but also has a real time CO monitor in line on my system that runs every second the compressor is running.
I've always been surprised that this isn't standard. The shops I frequent are all very buttoned-up operations but none of them do this and don't seem to think it's worthwhile. Curious to hear more perspectives from people who run shops and compressors.

(Also paging @DandyDon to a CO thread)

A CO report is worthless about 20 minutes after it is generated. It means there was no CO at the time of sample. Ask Wayne at Amigos if things can change in an instant and pump 92ppm into your bank.

We are the only dive shop around that not only tests for OCA air quarterly but also has a real time CO monitor in line on my system that runs every second the compressor is running.

I built my fortune in liability protection, I damn sure ain’t gonna lose it to something as simple as a CO death.
Where are you in Fla?

All the tanks in Sosua are filled by the same guy except one shop, and they have CO, but no one complains because he is the only guy filling tanks

Always thought a tank pod that transmitted O2 and CO content as well as pressure would be nice. Why carry three different gadgets looking at the same thing? No idea if it would be practical to sell though.

Would "ER down in Mexico" do a CO blood test for symptoms of tequila poisoning?

(As I understand it, CO tends to start clearing out once the source is removed, so the blood sample is best taken right away and not after the patient's de-kitted, showered, dressed, and walked/drove over to the ER.)
And o2 would be the first step in treatment. Which is why I asked. Did the ER give her oxygen, or ibuprofen and a iv with water? I assume o2 might help a little with the tequila poisoning on top of the ibuprofen and water.

And o2 would be the first step in treatment. Which is why I asked. Did the ER give her oxygen, or ibuprofen and a iv with water? I assume o2 might help a little with the tequila poisoning on top of the ibuprofen and water.
CO gets you by attaching itself to your hemoglobin and preventing oxygen from getting by. No amount of oxygen even 100% is going to work because it can’t get by the CO and be absorbed. This is F’ing scarier than sh_t when you think about it. This is why people can die later because even if they get out if the exposure all the CO has not attached itself yet. And when it finally does the person starves out for oxygen, they pass out, and they die. There’s nothing that can be done. Hopefully the exposure is not bad enough and enough oxygen can get by to stay alive while the CO finally clears.
I was damn lucky in my case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom