Which Dive Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I haven't used any of those 3, I'd imagine the main difference between the D8 and C8 is how heavy it is (mainly above water), and which size batteries it uses. C and D batteries are often the same price each, but a D has more power inside. The 8 D is likely to last about 30% longer, or I suppose it might be brighter.... I'd be betting on longer.

Do you have a local dive shop near you, if you do ask to have a dark one, and use all three, see which intensity you like better, and the spread or focus of the lights to pick.

The closest dive shop is 4 hours away, so I can't try them out. Plus, they don't have those models and sell less powerful lights at much higher prices.

I've had really good luck with the UK Lights over the years. I currently have an 8C LED and I love it. Much smaller than the D8.

What kind of diving conditions are you planning on using this light for? That will greatly determine what kind of light you need. II have a UK C8 eled plus which is pretty good for local conditions, and out of your price range by a good bit, but would be way too powerful (maybe even when on low) for clear blue water diving. Just depends on what you'll be diving in.

I have a UK1200, which is what they called their D8 before renaming it to the D series names. Purchased in 1989, it still works great. Definitely a testament to longevity.

It has collected dust for the past year, however, or gets used as a spare since I got my light cannon, and even more so since I got my 21w Salvo can light.

Take a long look at the princeton shockwave mini LED...can be had for around 70 or less if you look hard enough and it's brighter than the ones you mentioned and also compact for such a bright light.

Cheekymonkey:
Do you have a local dive shop near you, if you do ask to have a dark one, and use all three, see which intensity you like better, and the spread or focus of the lights to pick.

This defeats the whole purpose of Scuba Board:wink:

scubadobadoo:
Take a long look at the princeton shockwave mini LED...can be had for around 70 or less if you look hard enough and it's brighter than the ones you mentioned and also compact for such a bright light.

Thanks.
I got the Miniwave LED and the Impact XL. I hope I will be happy with them. They are being shipped now...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom