Question Protecting glass of primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am working my way through the cave training. I noticed that my primary light is prone to being banged around before getting in the water. Is anyone using a protection cap (maybe out of neoprene?) to protect the glass? I never thought about it for any of my other lights but the cost here is 3-10x in addition to the risk of light failure when deep into a cave. Curious to hear if this is a non-issue or others have found solutions to it

Yep, as Ron said, beer Koozies have long been used for that.

There is a better choice - helicopter tape. The tape is what you'd put on a helicopter blade to protect it from damage. Race cars use it, too.

Cut to 3/4"-1" width, wrap around the light head. I also put it on SPGs. It is durable AF and very easy to cut as it has paper backing. Use the sharpest blade you have or a safety razor if you must cut it to a funky shape.

There is a better choice - helicopter tape. The tape is what you'd put on a helicopter blade to protect it from damage. Race cars use it, too.

Cut to 3/4"-1" width, wrap around the light head. I also put it on SPGs. It is durable AF and very easy to cut as it has paper backing. Use the sharpest blade you have or a safety razor if you must cut it to a funky shape.
I’m not sure you understand what they’re talking about. Canister light owners use beer cozies as a cover to delicate light heads when carrying them around in a crate or dive gear bag. You take the cozie off when you go diving. Nobody would ever tape up their light head just to carry it to the dive site.

In the old days when canister lights were mostly HID, the light heads were bigger and perfectly sized for a beer can cozie. The bulbs were delicate and cost over $100. Now everyone uses LED lights, usually those heads are smaller and a lot less delicate so you don’t see as many cozies.

I’m not sure you understand what they’re talking about. Canister light owners use beer cozies as a cover to delicate light heads when carrying them around in a crate or dive gear bag. You take the cozie off when you go diving. Nobody would ever tape up their light head just to carry it to the dive site.

In the old days when canister lights were mostly HID, the light heads were bigger and perfectly sized for a beer can cozie. The bulbs were delicate and cost over $100. Now everyone uses LED lights, usually those heads are smaller and a lot less delicate so you don’t see as many cozies.
Sorry, my bad. I have a separate Pelican case for that purpose. It holds the lights until they're on me.

The helicopter tape protects the light head when the light is on me or in the cave. Btw, if banging the light before it gets in the water is the problem for the OP, wait until the light spends some time in caves.

Solution. Three examples. Precise, snug fit.

Attachments

• Vinyl caps.jpg
    Vinyl caps.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 16
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom