DIR views on non-canister primary lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're diving locally in low-vis lakes, maybe doing multiple dives a day, then I suppose you would indeed want some kind of powerful, long burn-time light. But for diving in clearer waters, I'd stick with a nice inexpensive light until I really needed something blindingly bright with longer burn time for tech diving or at least for long dive days at low-vis sites.
You want a powerful light in clear water so you can see further. A powerful light in bad viz just creates more backscatter.

Reactions: L13
Any idea on how constant the output is? I don't see anything for that on wetestlights.com. I don't have any other sources for people who test lights.
If you use the medium setting (which I normally do) it's quite constant. I can probably rig up a comparison test with a GoPro timelapse, I'm curious for the exact answer as well.

Might not be suitable for Fundies class, but I say get what you need for your diving today and don't be concerned with what you might need for Fundies class.
Why would that be the case? The limiting factor for how much you can see is usually not the light (with today's lights), it's water clarity. As I said, a really powerful really only has a benefit in crystal clear water in very large tunnels.
A 50 or 80 dollar LED light with a Lithium battery burns longer and brighter than an old halogen cave can light with a 6 or 8 lbs battery.

Man, just when I decided to go with a canister light after all someone had to introduce me to a seemingly well reviewed, affordable cordless light that would also be good for my applications!

Seriously, though, I appreciate everyone's contributions to the discussion. I didn't expect the thread to be this popular, and I'm learning a lot about how things are in contemporary practice in the real world, and the rationale behind the various approaches, which is exactly what I was looking for.

More that they like spending more money on scooters!

Honestly that is part of the reasons why one of first upgrades I want to do to my BT after Cave DPV is to fit a handle that has the finger activation.
Would having a Boltsnap on the torch attached to a thick rubberband on the wrist defeat the purpose of a hard Goodman handle? If one could deftly unhook the Boltsnap and transfer it to the other hand (the right hand is reaching for the left in any case during the transfer)…

Even without a scooter at least in caves my light spends quite a bit of time off my left hand. Like if I am pulling with my left hand.

Why would that be the case? The limiting factor for how much you can see is usually not the light (with today's lights), it's water clarity. As I said, a really powerful really only has a benefit in crystal clear water in very large tunnels.
A 50 or 80 dollar LED light with a Lithium battery burns longer and brighter than an old halogen cave can light with a 6 or 8 lbs battery.
If you’re asking about Fundies, it’s because they still apparently want students to learn to manage a cord, even if they decide to go cordless/handheld after the course. I’m sure it’s possible to rent or borrow a corded (canister) light for the course. No need to buy one.

I am with @berndo here.

Cordless lights are enough at C1 level; I think if you want to do the course with a cordless light, it's gonna be okay, although at least one day, the instructor will probably ask you to dive with a canister light to show you can manage the hoses during the S-drill. However, because managing hoses and wires is still a crucial skill - speak with the instructor first :)

I am sure some cordless lights are good enough even for "easy" C2 dives (2h, maybe even 3h dives - depending on the burnout time of the light), and switching battery between dives is an option.

As usual, speak with the instructor before the class.

I actually PREFER cordless lights in caves - since the risk of losing it is remote compared with OW, and there is less complication due to the lack of wires. Technically speaking, they are ok also for deco OW dives, but I do not like the idea - if by accident I lose it during the deco stop, it's over, no way I will go back to retrieve it. It is an extremely rare circumstance actually, but not unheard of. Anyway, it's a personal preference, not a necessity.

Power in caves is usually not the biggest factor -I often run in low power. The shape and focus of the light beam (or whatever you call it) are more crucial factors.

I am with @berndo here.

Cordless lights are enough at C1 level; I think if you want to do the course with a cordless light, it's gonna be okay, although at least one day, the instructor will probably ask you to dive with a canister light to show you can manage the hoses during the S-drill. However, because managing hoses and wires is still a crucial skill - speak with the instructor first :)

I am sure some cordless lights are good enough even for "easy" C2 dives (2h, maybe even 3h dives - depending on the burnout time of the light), and switching battery between dives is an option.

As usual, speak with the instructor before the class.

I actually PREFER cordless lights in caves - since the risk of losing it is remote compared with OW, and there is less complication due to the lack of wires. Technically speaking, they are ok also for deco OW dives, but I do not like the idea - if by accident I lose it during the deco stop, it's over, no way I will go back to retrieve it. It is an extremely rare circumstance actually, but not unheard of. Anyway, it's a personal preference, not a necessity.

Power in caves is usually not the biggest factor -I often run in low power. The shape and focus of the light beam (or whatever you call it) are more crucial factors.
I think (someone active in the organization please correct me) is that the GUE philosophy is to have procedures and equipment that doesn't change. I.e. if they are doing such extreme dives that require a canister light, then all their technical training will require one.

Another example is that for shallow dives, they dive ean32. We know we always measure nitrox. Their procedure is to always measure their gas content.

That's my understanding and it does make sense. I'm happy to be corrected by someone who doesn't have an axe to grind with the organization.

I think (someone active in the organization please correct me) is that the GUE philosophy is to have procedures and equipment that doesn't change. I.e. if they are doing such extreme dives that require a canister light, then all their technical training will require one.

Another example is that for shallow dives, they dive ean32. We know we always measure nitrox. Their procedure is to always measure their gas content.

That's my understanding and it does make sense. I'm happy to be corrected by someone who doesn't have an axe to grind with the organization.
You are right. Procedures must be consistent and equipment compatible.

This is why you need to show proper management of the canister light during any Tec course at least once. This is mandatory. Whether an instructor would allow you or not to do the rest of the course with a cordless light is something you should ask the instructor.

Equipment should be compatible - still, right tool for the right job. Nobody will ever ask you to use a dry suit for a rec dive in tropical water. For the same principle, as long as your cordless light is ok (hard Goodman hold, adequate burning time) - no problem in my opinion.

However there are many people with much more experience than me, plus several instructors, here on SB. Feel free to ask them :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom