DIR views on non-canister primary lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends upon the scooter. A Blacktip, for example, has a thumb operated scooter switch. In that case you simply use the Goodman handle as normal on the right hand and hold both the torch and the scooter handle.
I have noticed that GUE divers I've met tend to prefer the finger trigger. Don't know if it's related to the Goodman handle...

I have noticed that GUE divers I've met tend to prefer the finger trigger. Don't know if it's related to the Goodman handle...
More that they like spending more money on scooters!

Do you use the thumb loop for that? I don't have a full thumb loop on mine, only a semi-circle, so I'm wondering how to hold it with my scooter hand. Do you know of any image or video showing this?
Which light do you have? (Standard Fue?) IN that case you can add a bungy on the thumbside and get a proper loop. ALso adda bungy on top to take care of that "snag tendency"

Which light do you have? (Standard Fue?) IN that case you can add a bungy on the thumbside and get a proper loop. ALso adda bungy on top to take care of that "snag tendency"
Yes. So you mean add a loop on the open end to avoid lines getting caught inside the handle, right? I have noticed it likes getting hooked on to the long hose topside.

For the benefit of others reading this thread, here's a photo:
101413.jpg

Thank you very much for everyone's insightful replies. They will really help in my decision-making.

I have a primary light that can run both as a cordless handheld and as a wired canister. The cordless is more than enough for the dives I do, but I always use the canister. Why? Because it's impossible to drop the light. I frequently dive walls where the bottom is around 100m, so if a cordless light slips out of my hand, it's gone. It also conveniently holds my long hose in place. And dealing with the cord is easy once you get used to it.

Your rationale makes a lot of sense to me; if I can keep from losing an expensive light, it makes me reconsider my stance against can lights.

Where did you obtain your light? I'm searching for DiveXtra and it's taking me to a page with only scooters. Anybody have any suggestions for similar (wireless v canister option) lights?

I use the DiveRite HP50, it converts from a canister to a wireless light. I use the canister in caves and the wireless battery back for easy open water dives. Gives you the best of both worlds. I’ve seen people take GUE Cave courses without a canister. Just has to meet runtime requirements.

The canister cord is actually convenient though to keep you from dropping the light. You get to used to it pretty quickly.

There are some lights that have both options; an umbilical cord and battery, and a standalone battery. For example Anchor Dive Lights. Best of both worlds.

Personally I’d prefer some bungee in the mix such that the Goodman handle cannot slip off the hand so easily. Lots of Toddy style handles around nowadays.

Hi, steinbil pretty much covered everything but wanted to add want I recently experienced. I took Fundamentals in Rec configuration so a primary light wasn't required. After the class, I purchased a cordless Halcyon EXP to get used to using a primary light and to practice for a Tech upgrade. When I recently did my tech upgrade, even though one can do it with a handheld, my instructor wanted me to use a corded light in order to learn cord management. It is especially important to learn when donating gas so you don't trap the long hose with the light cord. I just borrowed a Focus from the center so all was good.

A couple of things. the cord is very reassuring that you won't lose an expensive light on a wall as steinbil mentioned. It also gives you piece of mind the bolt snap line isn't going to break when clipped off etc. The cordless is easier to travel with as it is very compact and is enough for my diving. However, at times I wish I had a corded version.

Do you use the thumb loop for that? I don't have a full thumb loop on mine, only a semi-circle, so I'm wondering how to hold it with my scooter hand. Do you know of any image or video showing this?

you can run some bungee over the top which will allow you to thumb the light when scootering. the hard thumb loop provides a more stable hold though.

(oh, @Imla said this already)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom