What are your 5 favourite books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Marvel, I can't narrow down the books easily, but I can give you my favorite authors.

Robert Heinlein
Izaac Azimov
Luis L'Amour
(the best are no longer with us)
Jean Auel
W.E. B. Griffin
Anne McCaffrey
Nevada Barr
Arthur C. Clarke
Gordon Dickson

I could go on.

Thalassamania:
Their easy to find. The most recent was Flashman on the March which came out in 2005. Try George McDonald Frasher's McAualin in the Rough and the General Danced at Dawn (his WWI memoirs). But if you liked Flashy you'll love The Sharpe's Rifles books.

I have a stack of books to finish first but I'll give them a look, thanks.

Dave
DDHF

Wayward Son:
yep, there is an obvious story line that could be used now.

Have you read "First Meetings"? It's a few shorts that deal with more character development, such as when & how it came that Ender's parents met each other.

But, of course... :wink: Just as I read New Spring (Jordan's precursor to WoT)

Dracula, Bram Stoker
The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
The Historian, Elizabeth Kostova
Killer Angels, Michael Shaara
Grant and Twain, Mark Perry

TSandM:
This is a great thread. I see several people listing books I really like along with things I haven't heard of, and gives me a lot of motivation to go out and get some new books!

Damn Lynn you caught on to my selfish motivation here :D

Teamcasa:

Stephen King will never get one more dime from me!

After reading the first Gunslinger, I was upset by his, “well folks, I,m not done with this book yet.” ending.
So what did I do? Yep I was suckered into the second one, Drawing of the three. Same ending. I can appreciate an author who want to make a series but he should have said so in the first book. For me, I invested too much time not to have a story finish.

After the second book he openly said it was going to be a 7 part series, with each part getting bigger than the next.

My real complaint was the time it took for him to write and release the sequels. Now I ask you peeved as you were, isn't Roland a fascinating character anyways?

Trinigordo:
After the second book he openly said it was going to be a 7 part series, with each part getting bigger than the next.

My real complaint was the time it took for him to write and release the sequels. Now I ask you peeved as you were, isn't Roland a fascinating character anyways?

I started that series and worked through them all until he took a long break. Quite liked them. Then I saw a few years back he started them again and I just couldn't get back into them. It was just too long of a break. Is he done with the series yet? Maybe I'll reread the early books and then start into the newer ones, but only once I KNOW THERE'S AN ENDING!

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
The Law - Frederic Bastiat
Mere Christianity - CS Lewis
The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
Capitalism and Freedom - Milton Friedman
Calculus - Michael Spivak
Lectures on Physics - Richard Feynman
Knowledge and Decisions - Thomas Sowell
Republic - Plato
The Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith

I'm seeing alot of "serious books" coming down so I figure I'd throw in my favourites.

The Richest Man in Babylon - George Clason

Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

Rich Dad, Poor Dad series - Robert Kiyosaki

Trump, The Art of The Deal - By something Shwartz (my memory sucks, no biggie)

The Greatest Trilogy (Salesman, Miracle, Secret) - Og Mandino

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey

Good To Great - Jim Collins

A whole hanful of leadership books by John C. Maxwell

And I just finished reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

Yeah I know a very capitalistic series of YUPPIE manuals, but most were gifted to me and all turned out to be good reads too. :14:

Are we talking fiction or non?

My goodness, so many I love, how can I just pick 5?

Fiction
To Kill A Mockingbird
Germinal
The Great Gatsby
Black Boy
Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Non-fiction
Into Thin Air
Shadow Divers
The Kite Runner
Autobiography of Malcom X
In Cold Blood

Authors
Anything by Faulkner, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, Richard Wright, James Baldwin, Kafka, Camus, Henry James (and my junk food, Grisham)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom