What are your 5 favourite books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone remember George MacDonald Fraser books about Sir Harry Flashman?
They were great, It may be hard to find these days.

Middle East Stuff.
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini was also an interesting insite as was All the Shah's Men and Overthrow: America's Century of Regime Change from Hawaii to Iraq Both by Stephen Kinzer

Dave
DDHF

I simply cannot narrow this down enough but I'll try- I'm going with authors rather than books:

Robert Heinlein
Orson Scott Card
Robert Jordan
George R.R. Martin
Sherri S. Tepper
(OK, enough scifi/fantasy)
Randy Wayne White
John Steinbeck
Orson Scott Card (His horror & historical fiction)
Robert Burns
Sharon Kay Pennman
Charlotte Brontë
Nelson DeMille
Charles Dickens

Gack! I could go on & on...

Wayward Son:
Ender's Game is rather addictive. Card got sneaky on us & branched the story off in multiple directions. I *think* I've hunted down & read everything published so far, it's something like 8 or 9 books in all now.

I expect the next one to be about Bean. Or, maybe Peter & Wang-mu :D

Bean already has a book: "Ender's shadow"

yep, there is an obvious story line that could be used now.

Have you read "First Meetings"? It's a few shorts that deal with more character development, such as when & how it came that Ender's parents met each other.

Wayward Son:
yep, there is an obvious story line that could be used now.

Have you read "First Meetings"? It's a few shorts that deal with more character development, such as when & how it came that Ender's parents met each other.

I have read all books in the Ender/Bean series up till Shadow Puppets, and that's enough for me. The Ender series were excellent - children of the mind, Xenocide, Speaker for the Dead, and Ender's Game itself - the Bean spin off was tolerable for a while, but eventually grew boring and not really that completely-new-idea-fantastic-imagination which they started as. I'm not even considering to buy any new books OSC writes!

Of science fiction I prefer "hard core" scifi - or cyberpunk: Fx Asimov, or Clark (Rama series for example... very good), or Bruce Sterling, Wiliam Gibson, Neal Stephenson.

Teamcasa:
Does anyone remember George MacDonald Fraser books about Sir Harry Flashman?
Their easy to find. The most recent was Flashman on the March which came out in 2005. Try George McDonald Frasher's McAualin in the Rough and the General Danced at Dawn (his WWI memoirs). But if you liked Flashy you'll love The Sharpe's Rifles books.

Back
Top Bottom