Paranoid snorkler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irregularguy

Reaction score
Hi, when I was a kid, I swallowed water while snorkling in my friends pool. It was not a nice experiance. I am now an adult who is going to try snorkling for the first time since. Is there a certain technique used to avoid inhaling water? I know snorkles have the purge valve at the bottom, but does that purge a full snorkle? I tried once after my bad experiance and found myself feeling the top of the snorkle with my hand to see if the tip was out of the water before i would take a breath. It became so distracting that i threw the snorkle onto the shore and continued without it.

Glad you are giving it another go. Snorkelling is great.

Take a bit of time to set the snorkel up. Use a decent clip and position it so it is well out of the water in a 'head down' position (having a buddy will make this easier. Some have wave guards that you can angle away from any waves.

The most important thing is to take slow steady breaths. Make a gentle inhale first to make sure the snorkel isn't flooded then continue breathing gently. Don't take a deep, sucking breath, you want to be able to stop inhaling before any water gets in your mouth. As you do it more you'll get used to the different way it feels with a little water in it and know when to stop inhaling.

Purge valves make it easier to blow all the water out if it has become flooded. A good idea for snorkelling. Rinse it with fresh water after the swim to make sure they don't stick.

good luck
nick

When you do inhale position the tip of your toung behing your front teeth at the roof of you mouth. In this manner your toung will get hit by any incomming water and you can stop sucking before it goes down your throat. Also as previously mentioned, a tenative breath at the start of the breath works.

I have a self purging snorkel, but occasionaly will still manage to get water in it while swimming along the surface.

Thanks for the advice so far. When I went to the LDS, I told him about my apprehension and he sold me a regular tube. I guess he doesn't carry the type with a valve at the top, or doesn't believe in them. I hope I can get used to using the straight tube and get used to the taste of sea water........ This just may be my last time snorkling if I take a drink.... It does have the valve at the bottom, but I don't see how that is effective on the level remaining at the surface. It would seem that when I blow out to purge, the air will escape through the valve, but there will still be some in the tube. If I don't drown, I will let ya know how I make out....

irreg,
He did not sell it to you - you bought it. If this is a big deal to you you should take it back and get one of the newer 'dry' systems from somewhere else. They are much more effective than they used to be.

No substitute for good technique but every little helps.

You'll be better off staying with the plain J and learning how to use it. I'm not sure it's possible to explain the techniques without demonstrations, but I'll try to get into it tonight. Try to find a patient instructor who knows how to teach breathing through a flooded snorkel.

Try an Ocean Master Dry Snorkel. It's a little bulky, but it does what its supposed to do. No need for purging. Just submerge and the valve shuts off. I've used mine plenty of times with no problems. Not very nice for scuba diving, though.

Ocean Master at Divers Direct

Ocean Master at Leisurepro

I've also attached a pic of the one I've got. What can I say, it works.

You can have a lot of fun snorkeling, use the tongue in front of the mouthpiece to clue you that you may be about to get water in your mouth; I use a dry snorkel and swear by it. There is a significant diff in snorkels, a small tube will be harder to breathe, though a large tube is harder to clear. Dont do like some, buy the cheapest most collapsible snorkel, when you need it you will want one that is comfy and easy to breathe zeN

Dry Snorkels works really well. My sister uses an Aualung dry snorkel and hasn't complained about inhaling salt water yet.

Back
Top Bottom