Mask Fogging Prep- Microfiber Cloth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've read all the suggested mask prep threads and tried all the recommended procedures for prepping a new mask from the factory- Dawn, soap, toothpaste, dishwasher etc etc (I was too chicken to light my mask on fire). I have the Hollis M1 mask which is notorious for fogging. People usually just deal with it using various tactics right before jumping in the water and I was the same. Before the recent Philippines trip, I broke out my primary and backup masks and give them a pre-trip cleaning. After each iteration, I tried a warm breath fog test and of course, UGH, it was the same old deal.

Well, I accidently left one mask wet and it ended up with some water spots so I broke out a microfiber cloth to wipe out the spots and then thought, wait a minute, microfiber is mildly abrasive right, what if I dry scrubbed the inside of the lens with the microfiber to see what would happen? So, I tried the experiment on my older of the 2 masks and started with the warm breath test, and fog everywhere. I spent some time with a couple fingers dry scrubbing the lens with the cloth and tried the breath test again and it seemed like there was less fog.

To make this a more qualitative test, I spend a few minutes scrubbing one smaller area of the lens in isolation and repeated the breath test. Holy carp, this was working. Long story short, I continued with the microfiber dry scrubbing over what seemed like a hour and getting borderline carpel tunnel, until the entire lens would very briefly fog and disappear with the breath test.

During the recent trip, the formerly relentlessly fogging mask stayed clear by simply doing a spit scrub and then flooding and clearing the mask after jumping in the water. This was dramatically different behavior, so I know it wasn't a coincidence.

If you have a mask that you love because it's one of the few that fit your face right, but it has fogging issues that you haven't been able to resolve, you might consider this technique. I just used the cheap, basic yellow Costco microfiber clothes. This will be my go-to method from here on.

Take care,
Rob

Put a toothbrush in your mask box and -any- defog spray. Adopt a "no fingers" rule with your mask.

Only clean it with the toothbrush. Rubbing a mask with fingers transfers body oil, sunscreen, silicone grease, cheeseburger fats, etc on to your mask. That makes if fog up. If you clean it properly upfront, and only ever use the toothbrush, you will never see another foggy mask.

Put a toothbrush in your mask box and -any- defog spray. Adopt of "no fingers" rule with your mask.

Only clean it with the toothbrush.
Soft toothbrush not medium or hard… unless you want to risk scratches on the lens…

Instead of using a lighter for 30 seconds, you advocate vigorous scrubbing for an hour? I'm sure that will catch on quickly.
Just another tool in the toolkit if people feel uncomfortable doing the burning thing. They can do it or not, I don't care. It worked well for me.

Generally my hands get cleaned before mask scrubbing. But we are all sweat and grease while in mexico.

I flame clear masks. Dawn then spray wax tinted masks.

JJ shampoo or Sea Gold gel pre treatment. Key is to not rinse too much off. Especially the JJ. If there's a few shampoo bubbles left in the mask, oh well.

That's what's worked for me. King of steamed masks.

I've read all the suggested mask prep threads and tried all the recommended procedures for prepping a new mask from the factory- Dawn, soap, toothpaste, dishwasher etc etc (I was too chicken to light my mask on fire). I have the Hollis M1 mask which is notorious for fogging. People usually just deal with it using various tactics right before jumping in the water and I was the same. Before the recent Philippines trip, I broke out my primary and backup masks and give them a pre-trip cleaning. After each iteration, I tried a warm breath fog test and of course, UGH, it was the same old deal.

Well, I accidently left one mask wet and it ended up with some water spots so I broke out a microfiber cloth to wipe out the spots and then thought, wait a minute, microfiber is mildly abrasive right, what if I dry scrubbed the inside of the lens with the microfiber to see what would happen? So, I tried the experiment on my older of the 2 masks and started with the warm breath test, and fog everywhere. I spent some time with a couple fingers dry scrubbing the lens with the cloth and tried the breath test again and it seemed like there was less fog.

To make this a more qualitative test, I spend a few minutes scrubbing one smaller area of the lens in isolation and repeated the breath test. Holy carp, this was working. Long story short, I continued with the microfiber dry scrubbing over what seemed like a hour and getting borderline carpel tunnel, until the entire lens would very briefly fog and disappear with the breath test.

During the recent trip, the formerly relentlessly fogging mask stayed clear by simply doing a spit scrub and then flooding and clearing the mask after jumping in the water. This was dramatically different behavior, so I know it wasn't a coincidence.

If you have a mask that you love because it's one of the few that fit your face right, but it has fogging issues that you haven't been able to resolve, you might consider this technique. I just used the cheap, basic yellow Costco microfiber clothes. This will be my go-to method from here on.

Take care,
Rob
Immerge your head it the water completely and make sure it s cool. do the same with your mask. 2-3 time with the toothpaste should do the trick during post dive.Spit on your mask ok, scrub No ! So spit rince and put it. But before you put it don't scrub your just adding contaminants to your lens.Never seen someone using a microfiber.

Is there an advantage to a microfiber cloth over a commercial mask cleaner, such as this? Sea Buff Dive Mask and Slate Cleaner

When I haven't used my mask for a long time, I prep it using something like that to remove accumulated contaminants. If I do that, then using spit or baby shampoo solution during the dive trip seems to prevent fogging just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom