Yet another ear thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually use Zyrtec now, just the 24 hour allergy version. Why do you ask?

Just so you know, I never had allergies before I started diving. After my very first dive I've had allergy problems ever since. Strange, I know, but that's just how it worked out for me.
Claritin is a brand name for Loratadine antihistamine but the brand name is also used for other products; Claritin D also includes a decongestant.

Zyrtec is another antihistamine: Zyrtec Information from Drugs.com

The ears are implicated in more threads in this forum than everything else combined I think, as they are heavily involved in equalizing of course and in motion sickness and vertigo. I think we see more such threads in the springtime with spring fever (mine has been killing me for 2 days now) but I could certainly be in err there, or it could be because more people are just getting back into diving in the spring. The drugs mentioned in treating ear problems usually include...
> Decongestants: Work to break up congestion. Original sudafed (pseudoephedrine HCl) used to be the most popular here until it was forced behind the counter, then became difficult to even find in stores. Other decongestants that cannot be used in unlawful drug production have been substituted, but I don't find them as effective.)
> Antihistamines: Block histamines that lead to congestion. Benadryl and Claritin are well known brands; here is a pretty good discussion and longer list Antihistamine Information -- Clarinex, Allegra, Zyrtec -- drug information database altho my favorite doesn't seem to be there.
> Combinations of the two - like I use daily, year 'round, diving or not.
But there are certainly others - like the steroids being discussed here.

You're a 27 yo male with over 50 dives in 2 years I see; I doubt that getting into diving caused your allergies but I am certainly not qualified to say why they became apparent around the same time? I've been taking various meds for mine for 50 years or so.

I've been following this thread and decided to jump in, since I'm on day 10 of a 14-day regimen of prednisone to help with my ear issue, which my ENT calls a likely case of inner ear barotrauma resulting from a dive about a month ago. Prednisone was prescribed for 5 days at 60mg, followed by 4 days of 40mg; 20mgs today and tomorrow, followed by 10mgs on days 13 and 14. I'm not getting much relief from the tinnitus I've experienced for the past month and suspect (though it may be premature) that I've done some permanent damage.

My questions: Okay, now what? Does hearing loss/tinnitus mean my diving days are over? More so, is there risk of further damage and, if so, what type of damage? (Obviously, questions for my ENT but I would appreciate, and value, many opinions on this site.)

Thanks and apologies if I've gone off on a tangent.
The equalizing link below to a 45 minute video may well help you in future diving. Is that all he gave you? No antibiotics or ear drops? Many of us have been thru such. Seeing your ENT was your best move; hope that works out well for you.
Have you guys contacted DAN? They may have an answer to your problem? It's worth a shot.
I haven't yet. If things down clear up after this round of meds I may do that. My policy did just auto-renew with them after all.

Nathan
Gee, I always call DAN first - free call, free consultation - member or not, altho I think that all dives should be even if they insure elsewhere.

Indeed, my first call was to DAN, whose recommendations I followed while awaiting my appointment with the ENT. (These included ear drops, and a nifty Valsalva maneuver to get Afrin-into-the-eustation tube.)

The video you referenced from the UoW was informative, but not much help -- I had no difficulty equalizing at any point in my dive. No pain, no vertigo, no dizziness. Just incessant ringing and "fullness" beginning about 4 days after my dive. No signs of infection or external damage. Kinda baffling.

The video you referenced from the UoW was informative, but not much help -- I had no difficulty equalizing at any point in my dive. No pain, no vertigo, no dizziness. Just incessant ringing and "fullness" beginning about 4 days after my dive. No signs of infection or external damage. Kinda baffling.
Okaaaay, if you say so. Your ENT said barotrauma: Injury caused by pressure, especially to the middle ear or paranasal sinuses due to an imbalance between the ambient pressure and pressure within the cavity. I dunno...? :confused:

My ENT recommended Claritin D - 12 hour with breakfast and 2 squirts of Afrin up each side pre-dive and 1 more after lunch if doing mutiple dives.

I just did 24 dives in 6 days with no problems - first time ever!!!!!

I think slow-slow-slow helps a lot too. I also pressurize my ears a bit just before I start down.

I think slow-slow-slow helps a lot too. I also pressurize my ears a bit just before I start down.

I generally go slower than the recommended 30' a minute above 60', just because I feel much better after the dive if I do. When I first started diving I would go 60' a minute like the books teach (agency dependent) and was getting sinus headaches ever so often and would be wore out by the end of the day. With going slow, I still have energy at the end of the day and don't get the pesky ache in my sinuses.

Also, I've read many many times to start equalizing early, I take it to the extreme as to clear before I leave the house, that way I don't make a 6 hour trip for no reason! :D

Maybe we could all volunteer to be test subjects for DAN if they would do some specific research on this sort of problem :)

So, the round of steroids didn't help the crackling at all. The doc cleared me to try a dive though, so I went out yesterday morning and did two shallow dives (about 25 feet deep). The ears cleared fine and as soon as I surfaced from the first dive my ear was, for the first time in a month and a half, fine. No crackling or popping at all. I'm not used to it being so quiet inside my head anymore.

Obviously then the solution to ear problems is to dive more. :)

Slightly confused,
Nathan

Well, good Nathan. :thumb: Some problems do indeed vanish with more practice, more exposure. Good luck.

So, the round of steroids didn't help the crackling at all. The doc cleared me to try a dive though, so I went out yesterday morning and did two shallow dives (about 25 feet deep). The ears cleared fine and as soon as I surfaced from the first dive my ear was, for the first time in a month and a half, fine. No crackling or popping at all. I'm not used to it being so quiet inside my head anymore.

Obviously then the solution to ear problems is to dive more. :)

Slightly confused,
Nathan
Glad it worked it's way out. Probably some water stuck in your middle ear that got pushed out on your ascent?

It's never quite in my head... dang voices!

SThe ears cleared fine and as soon as I surfaced from the first dive my ear was, for the first time in a month and a half, fine.
Nathan

That is great, other than the fact you have no clue what went wrong! :D

Ears are funny thing. Be kind to them! In your case, the solution appears to be to do some diving! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom