I think I'm going to cry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who's your instructor? I'd shake their hand for teaching this in OW.....these are the types of instructors we need more of!

I'm still impressed by a new student with a SAC of .4.

I think your training is great and I would never discourage it in ant way, but I have to ask with all the figuring do you see anything on your dive or do anything else but math?

Also have you experienced Narcoses? Much harder to do math! I would buy a Oceanic Data Pro Plus II and it will tell you everything you just spent 20 minutes doing and you will enjoy your dive much more because you will see why your diving in the first place!

Don't get me wrong it is all great therory, but in practice it never works that way, there are too many factors including stress and work load! Currents come up and conditions change! I would rather see you be able to adapt to your condition and judge by you present consumption! If your at 15ft before the gage says empty you have done well! Welcome to diving where opinions are like dives some have thousands! :D

I am going to offer a differing opinion. Yes, sometime get a computer...but DO NOT forego what you are doing now. Certainly I would like to see more of this taught sooner in training, but as a minimum if you ever get into tech diving these are mandatory skills. What you are learning now is leading to filing a dive plan, which should be a mandate (and is on many tech charters) that includes gas planning and total run time.

Obviously it is a challenge to do math if you are narc'ed, which is exactly the reason you do it before the dive....to have a plan. Yes computers are great...I have one and use it, but I always have a backup plan written on a slate or notebook. Certainly common sense needs to be a dictating factor i.e. are you diving to 50 feet or 100 feet (or someday even deeper), are you diving with unrestricted access to the surface or are you going to be in a wreck or a cave. Two different situations which should dictate two very different plans for how you execute your dive.

Long story short, keep doing exactly what you are doing. Sure...doing 30 foot dives is one thing...and it never hurts to keep the skills of dive planning sharp even on those, but if you ever get to the point where you are going into advanced diving techniques such as cave or tech (or both) and involving deco, then what you are doing is not a negotiable situation. Equipment seems to get nothing but more reliable, but one of the last situations I would want to be in would be in a deco situation and find out my computer crapped out (and yes, that did happen to me long ago) and have no backup plan in place. Imagine trying to do math and read tables in low vis and current. Not a pretty sight and one that is totally avoidable by prior planning.

It is nice to see that you are building a solid foundation for your participation in diving.

You are doing great....keep on the path you are on.

I think your training is great and I would never discourage it in ant way, but I have to ask with all the figuring do you see anything on your dive or do anything else but math?

Also have you experienced Narcoses? Much harder to do math! I would buy a Oceanic Data Pro Plus II and it will tell you everything you just spent 20 minutes doing and you will enjoy your dive much more because you will see why your diving in the first place!

Don't get me wrong it is all great therory, but in practice it never works that way, there are too many factors including stress and work load! Currents come up and conditions change! I would rather see you be able to adapt to your condition and judge by you present consumption! If your at 15ft before the gage says empty you have done well! Welcome to diving where opinions are like dives some have thousands! :D
Weren't you the one who suggested experience can substitute for cave training, or was that someone else?

It was not me!!!! I would strongly disagree with anyone entering any overhead environment with a dive plan and proper training is equal to playing Russian Roulette with four bullets! Maybe even Five!!! I was speaking in terms of open water and getting experience and joy from your diving! Task loading for new divers is tough enough here in Calif! Then with experience you can be comfortable about getting training!

Trained by Bill Rennaker and John Worloski:wink: You can see both in the video I am working on! Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

wes,

Here is some additional information.
Rock Bottom - DIR Explorers
Also, just wanted to point out how you came to calculate your sac rate of .4 ? this should be an average of your last few dives and of course becomes very crucial to your dive planning.

As a suggestion, always aim a bit higher than what your actual sac is.. also... remember that you don't plan based on your sac, but based on the weaker sac between you, your buddy, or other team mates.

hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom