Apollo Bio-fins vs. Atomic Split fins vs. Tusa Xpert Zoom vs. S.pro Twin Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my Atomics. The perfect balance for me between splits and paddle fins. Pretty stiff blades but easy kicking. I was forced to kick into a stiff current last weekend and they did a good job.
Their length is intimidating on shore but work great underwater. I can frog kick in them. The factory buckles are some of the best around although I eventually went to spring straps recently.

I own the Apollo Bio Fin Pros....prior to the spring straps.
I also own the Quattros and a pair of Aqualung Rocket Fins.
The Other two sit at home collecting dust...I will not dive without my Bio-fins.

I'm also looking into new fins and have limited opportunity to try stuff out locally. I have tried the SP Splits and thought they were pretty good although very pricey. I'm specifically in need of new fins because my old SP entry blade fins don't fit well over my rock boots.

Anyone have comments on any of these fins relative to drysuit/rockboot diving?

Thanks.

- Dave

The XL foot pocket guarantees to accommodate almost any size rock or dry suit boot.
and THEY COME WITH SPRING STRAPS as standard!

Try it for yourself!

Enjoy!

As I read through this thread, it becomes clear that the top choices are the Atomics and Bios and between them, it is a matter of personal preference, but you can't go wrong with either.

Something else I like about the Bios, besides their performance, aerobic advantages, and speed, is that they seem to be made entirely of one natural rubber (except for the spring straps). Long term, this means no separation of layers or glues, and the seem to be made of the type of rubber that other, much older fins were made of - so hopefully they'll be around a good while, and thus be a worthy investment (though, after about three years with them, they've already made it to that status with me).

I got into diving in 2001 and the LDS had Blades and Atomics to pick from. I picked atomics because they were much prettier than Blades and cost more. I am a much more discerning diver when it comes to my purchases these day and the kinds of gear I buy. I will most likely replace my Atomics with OMS Slipstream fins before my next dives in August.

The atomics are a pain to pack and transport. My dive buddy replaced his with atomic full foots because he loved the fins but hated the weight and transport hassle. I love my atomic fins and they are perfectly suited for the majority of diving I do. However, its too much fin to pack these days when you want to travel as light as possible.

The Bio Fin Pro's are just incredible, I switched to them after struggling with the Tusa Tri-Ex fins for ages. They have an amazingly wide footpocket (the only fin I have been able to wear booties with, and I've tried many), they deliver a lot of power for very little effort and they're near indestructable

Many quality comments have already been stated. I own both a pair of Atomic open heeled splitfins, which I use if the water temp or dive conditions favor wearing booties. I also have a pair of Apollo full foot splits. Either of these will serve your purpose for recreational diving. If your future plans include wreck penetration or cave diving, using a different kick other than a flutter kick, you will probably own an additional pair more suited to that discipline. And yes, I do.

Either way, do yourself a favor. If you go with a open heel fin, get the spring strap upgrade.
In my opinion, it's the best way to go.

Many quality comments have already been stated. I own both a pair of Atomic open heeled splitfins, which I use if the water temp or dive conditions favor wearing booties. I also have a pair of Apollo full foot splits. Either of these will serve your purpose for recreational diving. If your future plans include wreck penetration or cave diving, using a different kick other than a flutter kick, you will probably own an additional pair more suited to that discipline. And yes, I do.

Either way, do yourself a favor. If you go with a open heel fin, get the spring strap upgrade.
In my opinion, it's the best way to go.

+1
(and a set of free-dive fins for shore kick-outs, and a set of free-dive fins for from-boat free-diving ... and ... you're just gonna need fins)

Any of the above would be good - since you are replacing an older set of fins you should know by now that they all do pretty much the same thing. However, I would advise that try and get something with a spring strap or atleast a fin that you could purchase a spring strap for later on.

Out of the ones you have mentioned I would go for scuba pro twin jets? Why - because I like how they look
icon_biggrin.gif
. That is a good enough reason.

They all essentially do the same thing - so either pick something that you visually like or something that you pocket would prefer ($$$)

good luck - let us know which one you went for and why.

---------- Post added ----------

Any of the above would be good - since you are replacing an older set of fins you should know by now that they all do pretty much the same thing. However, I would advise that try and get something with a spring strap or atleast a fin that you could purchase a spring strap for later on.

Out of the ones you have mentioned I would go for scuba pro twin jets? Why - because I like how they look
icon_biggrin.gif
. That is a good enough reason.

They all essentially do the same thing - so either pick something that you visually like or something that you pocket would prefer ($$$)

good luck - let us know which one you went for and why.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom