Attached Boots vs. Soft Sock & Separate Boots (Rock, Trek, Evolution, etc.)

I prefer drysuit with

• Attached Boots

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Soft Socks & Separate Boots

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemonade

Reaction score
Wondering what the preferences are. Pros? Cons?

Two issues with the attached boots that I’m aware of are: they are more difficult to fit and more buoyant. Are those valid concerns? If yes, then what are positive aspects?

Thanks.

I prefer separate boots. They're easy to replace if they don't fit perfectly and being able to tie the boot helps prevent your feet from getting air bubbles in them and swimming around inside the suit.

I just ordered my dry suit and was wondering the same thing. Before ordering, I made a point of looking at what others were using, and then watched them. The guys with integrated boots seemed to spend less time getting into them, since they simply slipped into them. The people with the socks had to do the extra step of lacing up the boot. The external boots I have to admit, did look more comfortable to walk in.

Also, most of the divers I saw had attached boots. Not a scientific survey by any means.

I finally decided on getting the attached boots, the main reason was that the attached boots happened to match up very nicely with my foot size, with room for heavy socks.

attached boots. mainly because i am a jackass and feared i would rip the sock to easily on a random stupid thing i would do without thinking about it

Having had both, I like the seperate boots, they keep the air out of your feet.

The down side in my opinion is that they take longer to get on and off.

I have a dui, had the 'rock' boots. They were OK. I now have the retrofitted soles and like them better. Less stuff. No problem with air (I use gators).

I just got a CLX/450 and my first weekend with the Rock Boots had me thinking I ordered a size too small - that or I cut the laces too short....

I normally wear a 10.5 shoe, so I ordered up to size 11. There just seems to be some extra material on the attched neoprene sock and its a little effort to squeeze into the rock boot - God forbid taking them off between dive - it was quite a struggle to get them back on for dive #2.

My brother has a Bare Nex-Gen and just uses his old neoprene booties over the attached sock. I'm thinking about trying that - heck I have some tropical TUSA low cut booties I'm going see if they fit. That should provide the extra protection for the sole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom