Review Seaskin Nova drysuit review - ladies' POV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing that turns me off Seaskin (or just about any other MTM suit) is the lead time to get one - 3-4 months(+) is ridiculous.
3 months for a made to measure is 1 month less than Bare, Santi and DUI right now. You get exactly what you want AND it fits correctly which is often not the case with an off the shelf suit that your so pay more than X2 the cost of a Seaskin.

How baggy is the suit with the extra allowance? I, too, usually wear a 250-300 gram undergarment with a heated vest, and when I contacted Seaskin, they said I didn't need the extra allowance. But still, I'm nervous about the suit fitting too tightly and am giving serious thought to altering my order.
I don't find it too baggy with thick undergarments - but I bought it mostly to accommodate my Weezle extreme plus which I was using as my primary undsersuit before I bought my heated vest. The legs are a bit baggy with the thinner 250 undersuit, but the top still feels comfortable with the heated vest. I still need to do the arm behind my back shimmy when getting out of it as it fits well in my upper body/shoulders.

Seaskin adds 4cm to the chest, waist, seat and body cord. 3cm to thigh and calf, and 2cm to the bicep.

I don't have a good photo of myself wearing it with thick undergarments, but here's a photo of the day I received it (in either a 150 or 250 - no vest) so baggier than i typically dive it.

Attachments

• IMG_2393.jpeg
    IMG_2393.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 168
Excellent and useful review. I'm in the SF Bay area and just started looking for a new drysuit. I'm not thrilled w/my options. As someone who's a similar size to Vickasaurusrex, I do believe custom is the way to go and the Seaskin is looking more and more appealing.

There is one thing holding me back and Vickasaurusrex touched on it briefly. How do people get their Seaskins serviced w/o running down to Monterey? My preferred LDS will not even do a leak test on it.

Excellent and useful review. I'm in the SF Bay area and just started looking for a new drysuit. I'm not thrilled w/my options. As someone who's a similar size to Vickasaurusrex, I do believe custom is the way to go and the Seaskin is looking more and more appealing.

There is one thing holding me back and Vickasaurusrex touched on it briefly. How do people get their Seaskins serviced w/o running down to Monterey? My preferred LDS will not even do a leak test on it.
What servicing are you concerned with? Leak checks can be done at home and are detailed here on SB. A lot of local owned LDS can do work if needed, the bigger chain types are not as likely to help you if you're not using "their" brand.

Do it yourself there is really nothing to it, time for a new LDS.

What servicing are you concerned with? Leak checks can be done at home and are detailed here on SB. A lot of local owned LDS can do work if needed, the bigger chain types are not as likely to help you if you're not using "their" brand.
I will probably get glued in neck seals. I've heard for my size that a quick change neck seal system may press against my skin and be uncomfortable under the harness shoulder straps. I don't always have time to perform a leak check so I do value being able to drop it off at a shop. I currently have a Bare suit and ship it for zipper replacements so I'm looking to avoid that in the next suit if possible.

I will probably get glued in neck seals. I've heard for my size that a quick change neck seal system may press against my skin and be uncomfortable under the harness shoulder straps. I don't always have time to perform a leak check so I do value being able to drop it off at a shop. I currently have a Bare suit and ship it for zipper replacements so I'm looking to avoid that in the next suit if possible.
It will be a long time before you need a leak check, or should be.

nothing wrong with glued in seals for the neck, neoprene is better in that case.

DRIS is where I would ship it for zippers.

take the 2 to 3 k you save by buying a Seaskin and give it to me and I’ll take care of the suit for you or order a second Seaskin after you get the first one.

How baggy is the suit with the extra allowance? I, too, usually wear a 250-300 gram undergarment with a heated vest, and when I contacted Seaskin, they said I didn't need the extra allowance. But still, I'm nervous about the suit fitting too tightly and am giving serious thought to altering my order.
I got mine with extra allowance. Haven't dove it yet. Dry fitted with my 250 undersuit from Seaskin it's tight compared to my baggy 3xl bare.
These pics are just my base layer and almost all of what you see is my bioprene.
I did try.my undersuit on and it was definitely snug but not tight. Bad news is the zipper snagged on my undersuit and ended up ripping my brand new undersuit.

Attachments

• IMG_20230615_204051961_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230615_204051961_HDR.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20230615_204037382_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230615_204037382_HDR.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20230613_195245933.jpg
    IMG_20230613_195245933.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 129
I got mine with extra allowance. Haven't dove it yet. Dry fitted with my 250 undersuit from Seaskin it's tight compared to my baggy 3xl bare.
These pics are just my base layer and almost all of what you see is my bioprene.
I did try.my undersuit on and it was definitely snug but not tight. Bad news is the zipper snagged on my undersuit and ended up ripping my brand new undersuit.

Don't feel too bad, I also snagged and tore my brand new 250 undersuit. Live and learn I suppose.

Someone did cheer me up and told me they didn't own an undersuit that wasn't torn in the shoulder area.. so we're not alone.

Back
Top Bottom