Another how many. Who is a Mac user and who is a PC user?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used DOS and Windoze based PC's ever since I switched over from CP/M in 1983 or 84 (still have my CP/M laptop). However, I'm not above using a Mac if I need to. I also use UNIX and Linux.

Main reason for PC's was the high cost of Macs and the much greater diversity of software available for PC's. However Apple has made moves recently that have done away with many of my objections and I'm guessing there will be a Mac in my future at some point in time.

64-bit PCs with 64-bit versions of Linux and Vista.
Used to run XP as well but havent even considered putting it back after SP1 for vista came.

I actually also do have an old laptop running windows 2000 as well, but its kinda got a problem losing its screen because the hinges are broke :p

I had an oooold Apple (floppy disks needed..) I also had a G-4, and i-book. Now I have an I-Mac and two Macbooks. LOVE my Macs.... I also have two pc's and a Toshiba laptop that my son uses for gaming. Young punk... :)
But, I use and love my Mac. I wish my work would finish switching over. They are in progress of coming to the Mac Side....

I prefer linux, but since that isn't an option - PC.

Reasons simple - I do a lot of scientific imaging (microscopy). Macs simply are not setup for that kinda work - no software, no hardware, and a general incompatibility with industry standards. Not to mention a long history (which is finally over) of not allowing privbate development of your own software, which in a field where most software is custom-made, is a real crippler. And as a linux user I really don't like the new mac OS - basically a crippled linux. There is a lot of things I should be able to do, which I cannot.

That said, I do manage a number of Macs in our computer facility. They are a PITA in a multi-user facility. Good for home use, but outside of that they're completely without value.

Bryan

PC for me... although I am thinking about investing in a MAC:)

After buying 4 apples in the late 70's-early 80's (ii+, iie, iic, iigs), I wouldn't touch a mac with a 10' pole.

I prefer linux, but since that isn't an option - PC.

Reasons simple - I do a lot of scientific imaging (microscopy). Macs simply are not setup for that kinda work - no software, no hardware, and a general incompatibility with industry standards. Not to mention a long history (which is finally over) of not allowing privbate development of your own software, which in a field where most software is custom-made, is a real crippler. And as a linux user I really don't like the new mac OS - basically a crippled linux. There is a lot of things I should be able to do, which I cannot.

That said, I do manage a number of Macs in our computer facility. They are a PITA in a multi-user facility. Good for home use, but outside of that they're completely without value.

Bryan

As an IT person I agree that macs suck in the enterprise but I would not go so far to say that they do not have value. that is almost flame bait.:14:

Does Mac vs PC mean the hardware architecture or the OS software?

At home:
- Linux (Debian) on AMD hardware
- Linux (Knoppmyth) on AMD hardware

At the Office:
- Windows XP on Intel hardware
- iOS/5 on Power5 hardware (iSeries - formerly known as AS/400)

PC. I've built my own systems for over twenty years, almost always on AMD processors.

Back
Top Bottom