RIP Masaya SanšŸ™

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A few years back some good folk on SB @Kupu @rhwestfall @Brian G and some others came to the rescue to help me out when I broke the case of a Japanese diver friend of mines G250, Masaya San. Thread below:

The last time I was in Japan last August I had contacted him in May to suggest we go for a dive together, we arranged to meet. I contacted him just before I arrived and he said that he had a brain tumor and would not be able to dive. We stayed in contact via messages but his replies were far and few between. The last time we had contact was end of October. I contacted him several times over Xmas and new year but received no reply.

I asked a gaijin friend of mine to see what he could find out but he was unable to find any information.

I contacted a Japanese friend of mine yesterday and asked if he could look into it for me.

Long story short after drawing blanks he found out his address today and went over to his house. The house was shut up with mail left in mail box. He contacted police and real estate agent and this evening my friend and the police entered his apartment. He had passed and according to my friend appeared to have passed some time ago. My poor friend, didn't mean for this to land on him.

Poor Masaya, I'm saddened that no one noticed and wonder how long it would have been if I'd not done anything.

My ex wife said "he must be relieved that you made people find him..." such a nice way of looking at it.

I'm so sad, he was one of the nicest people I'd ever met, he was also good to my son, always positive and a pleasure to dive with.

Masaya San, go in peace my friend, I thought very very highly of you, you are a wonderful caring man. I will miss you a lot. I hope one day we can meet again. I'm so sorry the last few years of your life you encountered so many difficulties. Some of the best dives I had at Miho were with you, even our terrible night dives.

We don't have temples where I am but I will go into a church and say a prayer for you.

Nothing but love
Simon

This was a good day:
IMG_8167.jpeg

He had a younger brother but he died 5 years ago. He has elderly parents but both have dementia, he was taking care of them. When my friend spoke to Masaya's father a few hours ago he did not seem to know Masaya was sick, said he had not seen him since early December and that Masayas phone was dead. I suspect with dementia he has little idea of what is going on. I guess the police will let him know this evening,

My poor Japanese friend is currently at the police station being grilled, seems they suspect him as he has no links to Masaya and I guess they find the story how he got involved unbelievable.

I've told him to get police to call me.

Oh Simon... no words....

Respect to the power of friendship and a reminder to try to do good with the time we have.
I will keep Masaya San in my thoughts.

Really sad
Even not knowing you both, always sad
My deep condolences

Back
Top Bottom