Would you buy a reg and computer online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the local LDS is very limited in the dicounting area and this is frustrating. My wife and I are lookign to buy full sets of equip and we are hearing on ly a 10% discount from list price. All LDS have evry thing at full retail list. seams like price fixing to me! If we are looking to drop 1500+ each at the same time, dont you think that is worth more than 10% discount???!!!

So - onlide sellers have better pricing, but (and its a big one) will we be screwed when it comes to warrnty use. Most of the manufactures we are looking at are very clear to state that onlise sales are prohibited and "grey market". This is a big investment it would be infuriating to not have the warranty should it be needed.

SO - would you buy a reg and comuter from an online store???
I have been dealing with Leisure Pro for many years and have never had a problem of any kind. They stand up for their equipment whether it has a maunufacturers warranty or not. I also use them to do routine service on my Scuba Pro regulator.

I would say also look at ebay. The only disadvantage is that being a new diver you might not really know what you are looking at as the gear may not be in production any longer. I am sure you could get opinions here if you needed to.
I do have a question about ‘gray market’. Has anyone ever actually been turned away from their LDS when they have purchased on LP or some other area? I mean, warranty is one issue but I am talking about annual service-surely you can get these things serviced locally can’t you?
As for warranty, regs are pretty simple but robust pieces of equipment with tried and proven performance. I would suspect that any issues in manufacturing are going to be rare and noticeable rather quickly (in time to send it back to the online retailer). If there were a recall, I can’t imagine that a major manufacture would risk the lawsuit of not fixing it if something happened to you.
Does SP and AL ‘track’ these gray market items someway?

Yes I would/did but I cheated a little.

MY LDS is an authorized dealer for Oceanic and the Delta 4 was on my short list on regs. When I did my OW dive the rental reg I got was a Delta 4 so I had the luxury of a 4 dive "test drive".

It turned out that a dealer in Montreal (also an authorized dealer) offered an on-line price my LDS said they couldn't match so, long story short, it should be here tomorrow and I have quite a few $$ left in my pocket to spend on other gear.

I also bought a computer from ST for a lot less that I would have paid locally (Note - for other Canadian buyers, check ST's FAQ on shipping, they ship by UPS but avoid having the package brokered)

I bet 95% of scuba gear sold via the internet is still governed by manufacturer price restrictions. Now the restriction is called MAP instead of MSRP, but it's the same game.

You're right. Most of the manufacturers have MAP pricing and they enforce that with what they call "nationally advertised sales", meaning you can't advertise on your web site a lower price than another authorized dealer.

All the MAP pricing is set by the manufacturer.

While MAP was initially done to protect the "small mom and pop" shops from the "big retailers", it's now used by the "big retailers" who are all online to keep any of the other new mom-n-pop shops on the internet from selling it below them.

I would like to challenge any Mom-n-pop online retailer/scuba-shop to lower their price below MAP on a few certain key popular items and see how long it takes before other shops start calling the manufacturer rep and complain that you're selling it lower than they can under MAP pricing.

I bet you get a call from the manufacturer rep in a matter of days, if not quicker, if your lower price shows up in Google Search in the first page.

Then post your results here. (heck, this challenge could be a whole seperate thread).

:popcorn:

I think the days of 'having' to buy from a small, local shop are clearly over - only the LDS' can't see that yet. My LDS couldn't care where you bought your gear when you bring it in for service - they take care of everything just as if you bought it there. If your regulator qualifies for a 'free-parts-for-life' (such as Mares), and you have proof of warranty/purchase, then all is taken care of (you just pay labour, which is the same for all customers).

Buy your gear from authorized dealers to ensure a warranty.

Computers? When mine crapped out, the service my LDS offered was to send it back to the manufacturer (something you can always do yourself). Dive Rite was excellent in their customer service and I had a new computer very quickly. Still...it was nice to have the warranty to take care of things.

Regulators? Mine came with warranty cards in the box. I show these cards when dropping my regs off at an authorized service tech so that I get the free parts for life. I have moved since I bought the regs, and still have no trouble with service for my gear. Buy it where you get the best prices. If a shop won't/can't provide the service you need, many places (like Scuba Toys) allows you to ship the regs to them for service. Cut out the LDS dinosaurs who can't recognize the changing times.

There is good money to be made on servicing gear - I can't for the life of me see why these LDS' turn away money because they're pissed about missing the first sale. Provide happy, competent service, and the next purchase might be at your shop. If not, you still made money on the service of the equipment.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

I would have no problem buying non personal fit items online, so long as they are an authorized dealer. Full warranty is full warranty regardless of where it is purchased. No worries about getting serviced from any authorized dealer anywhere.
Safe Diving,
George

I'm back and forth on this subject. If your buying a regulator and they tell you free parts for life and then charge labor that is fine, but then they sometimes up the labor cost a bit to cover the cost of seals and expendable parts. Now in the case of a computer I think it would be best to buy at the store or at least go to the LDS and see the model you like try it on check it out play with it a bit then look online. In any case there are somethings you rather buy at the store and some things online. IMHO it's best to get your suits boots and gloves at the store since you can try them on and find your fit and maybe your computer other things you can pretty much orfer on the net.

the local LDS is very limited in the dicounting area and this is frustrating. My wife and I are lookign to buy full sets of equip and we are hearing on ly a 10% discount from list price. All LDS have evry thing at full retail list. seams like price fixing to me! If we are looking to drop 1500+ each at the same time, dont you think that is worth more than 10% discount???!!!

So - onlide sellers have better pricing, but (and its a big one) will we be screwed when it comes to warrnty use. Most of the manufactures we are looking at are very clear to state that onlise sales are prohibited and "grey market". This is a big investment it would be infuriating to not have the warranty should it be needed.

Sure I would, and have.

Not really dive related, but I'm a keen cyclist, and the parrallels are fairly strong. E.g Online stores vs People.

I bought both my bikes (MTB and Road) at small local stores, both have moved on from pure "bricks and mortar" stores to have reasonable online presence. But the biggest store in town is a pure money making operation, spun the other way round online store to national chain. Twice I have walked out of the store because:
a) the prices in store are much higher than the online prices
b) the staff are unhelpful.
c) the selection is rubbish (unless you just want a complete bike!)

Fit items e.g. shorts / jerseys I have bought online with varying sucess and have decided it's just not worth the problems, unless its a DIRECT replacement for something I already have. (Slightly different scenario here as shorts wear out much quicker than BCDs :D)

Big ticket / user agnostic stuff such as groupsets (cranks + gears + brakes), Lighting kits, pedals etc. I'd buy online in a flash, mind you I'm mechanically minded enough to fit that stuff myself!

Maybe LDS's are behind LBS's as cycling is much more popular than diving, but my LDS has a pathetic website. They list training with costs, but no online store, no prices for servicing etc. etc. A bike store just wouldn't stay afloat anymore without it!

My £0.01 worth (Current exchange rates got to love them :wink: )

Si

I just bought a DR RG3000 (plus everything else to be diveable HOG style) and a DR Nitek Duo from Scuba Gear Pro.

So yes, I'd buy mine online.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom