Aluminum Vs. Steel and some other questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you will drop weight off your weightbelt. I went from AL80 to HP 100 and while I don't recall exactly how much I dropped, I'm sure it was more than 5 pounds. But part of that comes from having been a little heavy to begin with. You may find yourself in the same situation judging by how many dives you have.

By the way, I think the HP100s are great. But it can be a little tricky to get a good, full fill.

A Catalina Cylinders AL80 is +2.8 at 500 PSI (7.25 Diameter x 25.9 long) at the end of the dive SCUBA Cylinders , requiring you to carry 3 pounds of lead to offset this. A Worthington Steel 100 3442 tank (7.25" diameter x 24.0" long) XS Scuba Worthington Steel Cylinder Specifications is - 2.5 lbs empty at the end of the dive. So that is a difference of 5 pounds.

Good thread, I'm looking at the same decision.

Appreciate all of the input - and look: No arguing!!!

(yet)

Fills to 3442 psi are not an issue unless

You have a shop that believes:

1. All tanks are 3000 psi tanks and/or

2. A 3000 psi tank hot filled to 3300 psi is "overfilled" even though it cools to 3000 psi at room temperature (the definition of the service pressure).

Or unless you have a shop that has a compressor that will not go over 3300 psi.

In my experience, I get fills to 3600-3700 psi that cool to 3500-3600 psi on a regular basis in my 3442 psi tanks.

A 3300 psi fill will produce 95 cu ft in an HP 100, and realistically I have yet to find the shop that cannot achieve that pressure if they let the tank cool off and then top it off again.

The OP lives in Chicago so if he dives at Haigh Quarry. He will get a hot 3200. Some of the shops will give you 3400 (Dive Right in Scuba for one) others I'm sure.

Good to hear you can get good fills in Virgina.

I found in Florida and Michgan I don't have any problems getting 3400. In those cases it is a bonus having the 119s.

I sold my LP95 and got Faber FX100's. The 95 could be overfilled to be like a 120 cubic footer. Not all compressor owners will do this. I didn't lose bottom time going to the 100's. The LP95 was like hauling around a barrel of beer down there, and I probably consumed 20% more air using it.

No problems getting a 3500 psi fill here.

I'm going to go with the HP100. I do my fills at work and can get up to 6000PSI if I wanted, so fills is not a problem. I'll probably be picking up two of these over the winter as I'd like to start diving doubles in spring.

Do you use the 119's as doubles? What do you think of them?

I doubled 119's. I am 5-11 and about 220 or thereabouts. I love them! Certainly it probably depends on body type, weight, etc., but I dive them on an aluminum backplate and with a dry suit do not use any additional weight. On a SS backplate a bit negative.

Living in the Atlanta area puts you on the edge of "cave country" in northern Florida....so getting fills in the area of 4100 is not unusual, depending on where you get them done.

I am 6 foot 1 inch and 200 lbs. I use steel 100's. They are smaller, negative in buoyancy, and "will" allow you to drop 5lbs from you belt. They cost more, but well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom