Aluminum Vs. Steel and some other questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a LP 95 which I purchased because my shop said they would fill it to 3500 and it would be around 130 cubic feet of air. Last time I had it filled he told me he gave me a good fill. Once on the boat I hooked the tank up and realized he filled it to 4000. It was great. I was down longer than some people using doubles. My only concern is that it would be bad for my reg. I use a APEX XTX200.

I went from AL 80 to a LP SS 108. Get 108 cu ft at 2640PSI and approx 130 when filled to 3000PSI. I was able to drop 6lbs of weight with the switch in tanks.

I have a LP 95 which I purchased because my shop said they would fill it to 3500 and it would be around 130 cubic feet of air. Last time I had it filled he told me he gave me a good fill. Once on the boat I hooked the tank up and realized he filled it to 4000.
:coffee:Yes he gave you a "good" fill. The tank is rated by DOT to be filled to its rated pressure at a certain temperature, not overfilled and then cooled to its rated pressure. I am not an expert, and I am certain many will jump in here and set me straight but I believe the correct (per DOT) procedure is to fill to rated pressure and no higher. Ssignificantly overfilling a tank repeatedly may result in a shorter lifespan for the tank with a failed hydro at some point. :popcorn:

I believe the DOT procedure was explained correctly. There are some areas such as Florida where overfills are common, but I think most shops in Southern California do not overfill on purpose. Unintentional overfills of LP tanks are common on So Cal boats where they fill everything to around 3000, but there is a big difference between a hot fill that is 360 over the tank's rating and one that is 1360 over the rating.

Back
Top Bottom