Favourite Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK so for those of us who are in Southern Ontario, we know that our dive options are limited by region. I happen to be in a spot where I have at the absolute minimum a 1 hour (more likely 2-3) drive each way to decent shore diving. I specify shore diving because I would typically rather not pay for a charter to dive with a bunch of people on someone else's plan.

So what is your favourite SHORE dive location and why?

Cedar Hill in Wiarton (GPS = 44.806394, -81.005215) because it is very comfortable diving with lots to see at varying depths.

The Gap / The Anchor in Tobermory (GPS = 45.257250, -81.668927) because it can be a challenging but neat entry/exit and a sense of accomplishment when you swim up on the huge anchor.

ScubaSteve001,

I've already metnioned the Monarch under the Blue Water Bridge in Sarnia and that one is definitely on my list (at number 2) but number 1 is a bit further downstream at a town called Port Lambton (just north of Walbpole Island). Reasons - ease of entry, ease of exit, nice drift dive but not too strong of a current, close to home (30 min drive). And each time out things are a bit different.

Chippewa Creek, or Niagara River dives are fun too.

I also like Cedar Hill and the Lighthouse in Tobermory. I keep hoping to do a shore dive off the north side of Colpoys Bay that has a wrecklet in 15 ft...I forget the name of it.

Chippewa Creek, or Niagara River dives are fun too.

I also like Cedar Hill and the Lighthouse in Tobermory. I keep hoping to do a shore dive off the north side of Colpoys Bay that has a wrecklet in 15 ft...I forget the name of it.

I know of Mallory's Beach on the North side of Colpoys but have not heard of a wreck in 15 feet. Maybe someone here will tell you the name and location.

I have to confess.

My favourite southern Ontario shore dive is Innerkip in May-June. After 4-5 days of good weather, the visibility is about 20 feet. There more fish than anywhere I have been in S Ontario: pike, suckers, carp, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, rock bass, bluegill, and warmouth. There are thousands of fry, then during the summer, they seem to thin out.

Also, there is lots of junk to navigate, although most of it is very rusted out: buses, boats, cars, airplanes, so even when the visibilty is not great, it is interesting to get the map and do some compass work.

I know some people don't like Innerkip, but the whole thing is when you go. Late summer and early fall are the worst time, with visibility down to a couple of feet. Spring is best.

OK, flame me.

:)

I love the Welland River (the chip) as its normally a nice fast current and always fun. New stuff to see on every dive. We normally enter at tim hortons and out at the boat launch (30-40 min depnding on current) or in at boat launch and out at stanley street bridge(1 hour). Fun dive either way. We normally dive this sundays at around one if anyone is to just show up.

NOTE:
No newbies as its an advanced dive and you can't just surface anywhere on the river. Its to be treated as an over head envirnment due to heavy boat traffic at times! Not trying to scare anyone just keep it safe!

Mike
Hamilton Aqua Knights

What sort of things do you see? What are typical conditions? It sounds like a neat dive.

I love the Welland River (the chip) as its normally a nice fast current and always fun. New stuff to see on every dive. We normally enter at tim hortons and out at the boat launch (30-40 min depnding on current) or in at boat launch and out at stanley street bridge(1 hour). Fun dive either way. We normally dive this sundays at around one if anyone is to just show up.

NOTE:
No newbies as its an advanced dive and you can't just surface anywhere on the river. Its to be treated as an over head envirnment due to heavy boat traffic at times! Not trying to scare anyone just keep it safe!

Mike
Hamilton Aqua Knights

Keeping in mind my limited number of dives my favourite, so far, started at Lock 28, drifted to the St. Lawrence and the Conestoga.

I'm also very interested in diving some of the "lost villages" sites next year.

There is a lot of new and renewed shore dives in Kingston give the boys over at NTD a shout for directions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom