Keeping in mind that this is BASIC scuba...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By diving cold, we get to dive much more often than we would otherwise. Hitting the local quarry is a matter of "hey, wanna go dive now?" vs having to plan and pay for a trip somewhere. Back home in a couple hours, no dog-sitter needed, etc.

Adventure
Curiosity
Discovery
Escapism
To practice a skill and excel
The sense of acheivement after any dive, especially if there was a problem and it was dealt with appropriately
The feel that I have done something few others do/ seen places few others see

Regardless of your location, there is always something, literally as well as figuratively, that can be found underwater.

And diving is way cooler than watching TV all weekend long! :D

At this point in my limited experience, I do not need a reason other than it is a chance to breath underwater!!!

I agree 100%. The Tennessee River is Low vis sometimes and it is very exciting. But being a noob I am still very excited about everyone of my dives. I know I intend to keep the excitement going as long as I can.

I have a question...
If you dive in the cold (anywhere you need a 5mm or more) and where vis is typically less than 10ft, why do you dive?

Beach diving here is SoCal meets your no-dive criteria of cold and low vis, but we love doing it anyway. Most of the time the vis is better and downright fantastic sometimes. The only way to tell? Dive baby dive!:D

When I first got certified diving in this cold dark lake was a means to an end which was to be able to vacation dive. Along the way I found the lake to be some of the best diving I have done. Why? The challenge I suppose, the same reason I ski the double black diamonds at the top of the mountain instead of the bunny trail. I enjoy being under water and honning my skills as a diver. I enjoy doing things few do or are interested in doing . I enjoy diving with my friends here in the lake. It's nice to be able to grab my gear and go with out having to fly or drive somewhere far to dive all the time. But most of all I like to prove to my friends I am truely nuts instead just having them thinking I am. ;-)

I must admit that after 3 days diving in the Florida keys i got bored and stopped. Coral reef is a novelty for 1-2 dives then gets rapidly repetitive and uninteresting.

Another great reason for diving cold water....no psycho cabbages trying to knife me.

A monk and his novice were walking through the forest. They come to a stream. On the bank there was a beautifully dressed woman, crying. The monks asked her what was the matter. "I am on my way to a wedding. I have to cross the stream to get there, but the bridge has been washed away. I was searching for a place to cross where I wouldn't ruin the dress, but I can't find one and if I don't make it across soon, I will be late."

Without a word, the elder monk scooped her into his arms, waded across the stream, and deposited her on the other side. Ignoring her thanks, he waded back and the two monks resume their walk. They continued on their journey, but the younger monk was agitated and obviously had something on his mind. The elder monk stopped and asked him what was the matter.

"Elder, I am confused. Our vows prohibit us from fleshly contact with women, yet you embraced that woman in your arms. How can this be?" The elder monk eyed his novice with kindly concern. "Novice," he asked, "I left her on the bank of the stream. Why do you still carry her?"

I'm also a Torontonian. I have never dived where the visibility was less than ten feet, so no comment on that. But I will say that I have no idea what a 5 mil wet suit feels like.

I took my AOW in the St. Lawrence River and rented a 7 mil wet suit with a 7 mil hooded vest. I can say quite honestly that I hated it. It was bulky and restrictive. And I had to load myself down with lead to submerge. Ugh! I bought a dry suit and let me tell you, it makes a HUGE difference.

You're warm, you're dry, and there's nothing like being dry between dives if you dive in the Spring or Fall. And the buoyancy? Dry suits don't compress like neoprene, so you don't have to weight yourself down just to submerge and then fill your wing with air to compensate for the suit being crushed at depth. It makes diving easier, not harder.

So, with respect to "cold" water, a dry suit solves the problem. As to why... Well of course you dive your home turf. It's more than just availability. If you love your homeland, you want to look around, to see what's there. I like travelling to dive, but there are beautiful wrecks and walls right here at home to enjoy. And the viz is terrific, so that is not an issue.

Here's a little taste:

Warren Lo's Cold Water Pictures

p.s. Someone else mentioned the magic of limited visibility. Viz in the St. Lawrence has been good for the last decade due to Zebra Mussels. However, on that first week-end, My instructor and I did a drift onto and off of an easy wreck. the instructions were clear: line up at the stern of the boat, jump in, touch the head if you're ok, then submerge IMMEDIATELY.

I did so, and my instructor buddies up with me at 10' and we started to descend, leveled out. I could see the bottom of the river, and it felt like we were flying over it as the current carried us downstream. Then ahead, emerging from the gloom... A ship, lying upside-down with its broken mast splayed out...
My eyes were the size of saucers as I exhaled and tried for a poinpoint landing right off the stern. It was like sky diving without the sky or parachute, and knowing that if you miss the target you carry on down the river. What a rush!

Lillie Parson?

Lillie Parson?

Unmistakably the Lillie Parsons. You can fool around descending the anchor chain to the wreck and on the exit you can drift the wall and then make your way around the island to the sheltered bay, but for my money drifting in open water onto and off of the Lillie makes everything worthwhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom