If I were a solo diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excuse me pug, but why do you need a wing when you have a perfectly good drysuit to use as a buoyancy compensator? Just another thing that can fail.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I would eliminate as many failure points as practical in my breathing gas supply:

All of my breathing gas would be in a single tank with one first stage, one second stage, one SPG, one lp wing inflation hose and one suit inflation hose (if diving dry.)

I wouldn't split the gas I was carrying up into multiple bottles with mutliple 0-rings, second stages, hoses and spgs to fail. In other words... no ponys, doubles, spare airs.

I would split the gas up through planning and set aside enough gas to make a controlled ascent from what ever depth/time I was at in the event of a failure in any component. This amount of set-aside gas would change during the dive as the depth/time evolved.

You forgot to mention that you wouldn't dive in anything deeper than a bathtub. :)

R..

awap once bubbled...
And I'm sure you would have to go with a single lens mask and a mono-fin.

After all, a spare tire is really just another tire to fail.

You're an idiot.

ScubaJeep once bubbled...
Excuse me pug, but why do you need a wing when you have a perfectly good drysuit to use as a buoyancy compensator? Just another thing that can fail.

So are you.

cornfed once bubbled...

So are you.

Quite arrogant and ignorant to be saying such things to people who you do not know. Of course, I would expect as much from someone who fails to see satire when it is staring him in the face.

I found myself recently (Friday - playing hookey from work) sitting on the edge of the wall at the dive park (read: mellower than most places...still commanding respect, but no rippin currents, no isolation, not too deep, etc...) thinking I would really (and I have to emphasize REALLY) love to be solo diving right now.

Weather was great - viz was above average for this year, my buddy was arriving late, so I had at least two hours to wait - that's a nice dive and reasonable SI.... I would really like to be solo diving right now...

So I did the gear once-over: everything is here, it all works, pleanty of gas in the can...why not. Go for it....

But I couldn't bring myself to do it. Without a completley independent, redundant gas supply (AKA buddy) I wasn't comfortable enough to head in solo. Maybe I'm a weenie - but I opted to wait for the late buddy, and do a dive and a half instead of the three we planned on.

Lots of people dive solo here. Some with small pony bottles. Some with doubles. Some with, like, big ponies (horses?)...some just go in with their singles. I've talked to several people at the park about - every time I spot a soloist emerging I try to get over there and discuss it.

But I'm telling you this - its calling me. Solo diving is calling me big time - especially of the last month or so. I dive for the serenity and the peace that illudes me topside. I dive for the freedom of floating, of moving in slow motion. I dive for the tactile sensation of the water breezing past me, squeezing me, caressing me. The buddy is just a mobile bail-out - and often, less than that.

Solo diving is calling me. It won't be long. If anyone has any serious solo diving input (I haven't seen much in this thread yet) then chime in. Otherwise, take your weak contributions to the scuba humor room.

Thanks -

K

Anyone notice the title of UP's post?

If I were a solo diver...

IF I were a solo diver...

I didn't read anywhere in his post saying "When I am solo diving...."

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
... I would split the gas up through planning and set aside enough gas to make a controlled ascent from what ever depth/time I was at in the event of a failure in any component. This amount of set-aside gas would change during the dive as the depth/time evolved.

I'm failing to see your point.

1. How is your proposed gas management different than for a "with buddy" dive?

2. By "controled ascent", do you mean a CESA , which would imply that you somehow ran out of air? :confused:

3. If you're just saying that you always would reserve enough gas to be able to ascend to the surface, that's something we probably can all agree on :wink: But isn't it what rock bottom is all about?

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I found myself recently...thinking I would really (and I have to emphasize REALLY) love to be solo diving right now...

But I couldn't bring myself to do it. Without a completley independent, redundant gas supply (AKA buddy) I wasn't comfortable enough to head in solo...

Solo diving is calling me big time...

:confused:

The buddy is just a mobile bail-out - and often, less than that.

:upset:

...If anyone has any serious solo diving input (I haven't seen much in this thread yet) then chime in...

Yes: Don't

And I promise I won't be late ever again :D

Back
Top Bottom