If I were a solo diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ignore that last post. Sorry, it was meant for page one of the posts.

:upset:

TRIG once bubbled...
It wood take a book to address this subject, and there is one.
Robert Von Maier offers some input with "SOLO DIVING" The Art
Of Underwater Self-Sufficiency, available form amazon.com.
Covering;

The Buddy System
The Self-Sufficient Diver
Diving Fitness & Physiology
Dive Management Guidelines
Emergency Breathing Systems
and Self-Rescue
Opinions

Quote; Spence Campbell, professional Diving instructor

It makes no more sence to me that an individual cannot go diving by himself (or is in any more risk) than it would be to state that the same individual could not drive a car or fly a plane alone. The FAA allows pilots to solo aircraft, which fly above homes and schoolhouses. These individuals could do tremendous damage, not just to themselves but to many others. Why is this considered less risky than diving alone?

TRIG
:)

Ya see. There we go. UP started this thread about solo divers splitting gas - or getting a false sence of safety from - pony tanks or spare air. Not to debate the wisdom of solo diving.
Or did he......
(I see him nodding smuggly)

Mo2vation once bubbled...

Where are the serious solo divers? There is a way / are ways to manage the added risks to solo diving....lets hear about it. Or we can kill this one and I can go solo diving through the archives...

K

I started diving solo regularly maybe a year and a half ago. I had logged a little less than 200 dives at the time. (BTW up till now, I have never been seperated from a buddy, even during dives in 5inch visibility, so no unintended solo dives.) Before that, my first one was at around dive #40 in 1994. I remember the nagging doubt I had the whole time because I was doing something 'forbidden', and I felt a little vulnerable. However, my max depth was 50 feet, and this was where I could freedive to, not to mention that the site was very familiar to me, so the added risk was probably very small. At that dive alone I saw more fish than maybe 5 other dives combined at the same place. I also covered maybe twice as much ground.

I didn't dive solo for the next six years, and when I did it again, it was at a site where max depth was 30ft and no rough conditions. After a couple dives, I realized that diving solo had its own merit, so I started to think about how to make it safer.

Among all the risks, I was chiefly concerned about three things.

1. Regulator/tank failure: although it is a very rare occurence, this could be potentially very bad. So I use a 19cf pony tank for dives below 40ft, where slow ascents become more important. Above that, I feel that direct ascent to the surface is an acceptable escape method, and is within my ability. (I can breathhold swim horizontally maybe 120ft with fins, and can freedive to 50ft.)

2. Entanglement: I carry a knife and a shear, and I make sure I can remove my rig underwater if needed. (This means that I also don't have integrated weights, as this will make me overly buoyant once I have the rig off.) I also never venture where there is bound to be monofilament. As for kelp, I am streamlined enough for that to be little more than an annoyance at most. I found that good awareness of where my body parts/gear are in relation to surrounding objects is key to avoid potential entanglement situations.

3. Lost/damaged mask: This is actually the one I used to worry about the most. How would I be able to do a controlled ascent without a mask when I am solo if there is no bottom contour, line, or wall to follow? If those three or a buddy are available, even the blurred vision and touch will be enough to get me to the surface safely. If they are not, I would be in trouble because I can't read the depth gauge and my ears are the only indicator of depth change, which is too coarse to be safe. Reaching the surface would be easy, but whether safely is another matter. I thus decided that if I would dive solo at depths more than 40ft, I needed a backup mask. I now carry the mask in my drysuit pocket, and since I have it anyway, I just carry it on every dive.

There are other things that I am worried about, too. Now that I think I am somewhat prepared for the above three more plausible failures, the thing I worry about most is a shark attack. :eek:ut: If I get attacked and am injured badly, a buddy may be able to get me to shore in time, but if I don't have a buddy, I'd be in pretty bad shape. But then again, there has only been a handful of shark attacks in Monterey on divers since the early 1900's. :D

In order to dive solo, one should be completely self sufficient, be meticulous and also be in good shape. One should also be very comfortable underwater and should be able to calmly take care of any problems that may arise.

Having a good buddy does reduce the risk even more and usually enhances the enjoyment of the dive. But sometimes, I prefer diving by myself, because I want to devote my attention wholly to enjoying what's down there.

FFMDiver once bubbled...
Ignore that last post. Sorry, it was meant for page one of the posts.

:upset:

Try the "quote" button...

paulwlee once bubbled...

Having a good buddy does reduce the risk even more and usually enhances the enjoyment of the dive.

Exactly, all I have to do keep you between me and the shark! :D

When running from a lion you don't have to be the fastest, you just can't be the slowest!

I love solo diving; I just use the long hose because it keeps me so much warmer…

Hay, where’d the Pug go? Back under the bridge perhaps? How's the vis? :wink:

I use a LONG hose and my tender is on the other end of it.
:D

Pug wants to dive alone because he's embarrassed. Everyone KNOWS that scuba gear is just a crutch for people who don't really know how to dive! :)

Neil

OK UP....time to surface and let us know what you were up to with this thread....bit my tongue in order to hear your words of wisdom!! lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom