Zeagle Stiletto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfrench

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I think I have narrowed my BC search down to a few options and was hoping to get some experienced diver's opinions.

A little background, I am a newly certified diver up in Washington State (Tri-Cities) mostly diving in the Puget Sound and local rivers and lakes. I have started purchasing all of my own gear and found a great deal on a DUI tls350 dry suit. The only item left to buy is my BC. I have looked at the vest styles, rear inflates, and back wings and have narrowed it down to the Zealge rear inflates. I am 5'7 and 180 lbs but my dry suit bulks me up quite a bit. I am not really a technical diver and probably will never do cave diving or enter wrecks (just look from the outside).

So, now to the question. After reading every possible thing I could find on the Zeagles I am still not sure which model to get. I like the look and travel size of the Stiletto but am concerned that it will not be enough for the Puget Sound. The Ranger looks like a great bc, but it is also a bit bulky and also a bit out of my price range.

The other BC that I have looked at was the Oceanic Outrigger HLT. This seemed like a good option because it gave me a little front flotation. Looks like a comfortable BC, but it doesn't look like Oceanic is going to continue making it in 2009.

I have been receiving a lot of pressure from my local dive shop as well as my dive instructor NOT to get a back inflate or a back wing. I've heard everything from my face will be in the water, to they are not safe for a new diver.

I would like to purchase one BC and use it for the next 10 years.

So, I don't know what to do. You all have really helped me with my past posts so I am sure you can help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Richard

Hi Richard. As a new diver, I have been diving dry in the Puget Sound with my Stiletto for the last 8 months. I use single steel 119's and 42lbs lead. I would describe the flotation as adequate for me (160lbs). My own experience with back-inflate BC's tells me that various brands act differently with respect to the "face plant". Zeagle's sit lower on the body, so it is easy to lean back to counter the effect. On the other hand, the Nighthawk I trained in tried to drown me every time I got in the water. There is no substitute for actually trying them out. Do you have a Zeagle dealer nearby? The quality is top notch.

Hi Richard,

I have a Zeagle LaZer (women's version of the Stiletto) and I really like it. I've only just purchased the BC, but I've got a dozen dives on it now and I've never experienced the"face plant" either. You have to really overinflate the thing to get it to push you forward, and even then, if you just lean back, you're fine. I like the back inflate because it's easier to maintain my horizonal trim in the water and my front is less encumbered.

How comfortable are you in the water, Richard? I don't think the forward push/face plant is a reason for concern, especially with the Zeagles. However, if your instructor is steering you away from BI I wonder if it might be due to how they perceive your comfort level in the water. Jackets will float you like a cork and keep you high out of the water at the surface, but with a BI you will be quite a bit lower. I can understand how newer divers or those who are less comfortable in the water may like the jacket better.

The best thing, like Gedmondson said, is to try each type out before you buy if possible. My dive shop encourages BI for everyone and uses them for teaching, so they really advocated for our trying them out before we bought bcs and brought them to the pool for my husband and I to test dive before we bought.

I have a Stiletto and have dived it wet and dry without a problem or complaint. I am 6"4", 200# and it has plenty of flotation for me. I am typically a back-swimmer at the surface, and I have no problem with the Stiletto. The back trim pockets for weights help quite a bit. I love the fact that it travels so easily, and even though the pockets are small they carry all the safety equipment/etc. I need. Plan on buying an external pocket for an SMB from Zeagle or some other manufacturer, because there is no way that a SMB will fit in the pockets.

All in all I have nothing but good things to say about my BC.

If you want more, check out the Zeagle Brigade from Scubatoys. Ranger harness with Escape bladder. Honestly the Stiletto should be fine. If you can hold out, Zeagle may have a sale again this year where you can get the Ranger for the price of a Stiletto. I love my Ranger, but at times I wish I had the smaller bladder of the Stiletto.

Dive Right In Scuba is having a Zeagle sale and posted this LINK in the Hot Deals section of the forum. I bought a drysuit from them for an incredble price and they couldn't be better to work with.

Hi Richard!

I have personally sold hundreds of Stiletto BCs to WA divers at the annual Underwater Sports Diver's Fair, which takes place the last weekend of July at their main store.

Most people have no issues diving them with the standard 35lb lift bladder, but there is a 44lb lift upgrade available for only a few dollars more, if you don't feel that the 35lbs of lift is enough.

As far as the dive shop and instructor that is pushing you away from back inflation BCs, does that shop SELL back inflation BCs?? If not, of course they do not want you to buy the product from someplace else!!!

What is most important is that you find a BC that you are comfortable with, and that fits you correctly. I will put our quality of product and customer service up against anyone in the industry, but what is most important is that you, as the end user, are comfortable with the gear!

I can put you in touch with a Zeagle dealer in your area if you would like, so that you can go try the BC on and see how you like it, just let me know.

Thanks and dive safe!

Scott

I currently own a Zeagle Stiletto BC and love it. All of my diving thus far has been in local quarries while wearing 5mil and a hooded vest. During these dives I usually have 22lbs of weight inside and it the Stiletto performs great. It is easy to use and fits well into a suitcase for travel. I have never traveled with mine but have packed it up to check size limitations in my bag. The back inflation should not be a problem because it does come with trim pockets mounted in the rear of the BCD. I usually weigh myself with a 80/20 ratio. 80% percent in the front pockets and 20% in the rear pockets. The rear pockets are easily accessible in case of an emergency and the weight can be dumped. You pull on the red knob and the weight falls from the bottom of the pocket. The local dive shop I used to dive through sold lots of Stilettos. I do not have any dry suit experience but considering the amount of neoprene, weight and gear I use in the quarries that the Stiletto would suit you well in the Puget sound. I do have a gently used Stiletto for sale if you are interested and you can check it out in the classifieds section.

Hope the product information helps out

mrward83

Last edited:
I can put you in touch with a Zeagle dealer in your area if you would like, so that you can go try the BC on and see how you like it, just let me know.

Thanks and dive safe!

Scott

Scott,

Sure don't mean to steal the thread. I moved to Alabama from Washington st. I have a Ranger that I dive and spear fish in the Gulf as well as the puget sound. I am looking at getting the Stiletto for travel to dive both areas.

Can you put me in touch with a Zeagle dealer in North Alabama 35670?

I know I can buy on line, but would like to try one on!

Do you still make the camo ones?

Thanks
Rick (north Alabama)

Last edited:
I live in the pacific northwest , I use a tech (44lb bladder) for home and a stiletto for tropical . I would do the upgrade or use a 44lb zeagle bcd for our local waters , you may need 30lbs of lead and with a tank you will be negative on the surface , relying on you drysuit for positive bououncy .
I am a true fan of zeagle and have tried most of the others . If you can afford the stiletto with both bladders you would have the best of both worlds , unless you went to doubles it would be the only bcd you would ever need , I still have not seen a worn out zeagle bcd .

Back
Top Bottom