Dive Crystal river

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mickeylb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i will be doing my o/w dives at crystal river can anyone tell me what mm sute i will need

Correct me I'm wrong, but Crystal River is a year-round 72 degrees. I dove Devil's Den a few weeks ago, same temp. On my first dive, I wore a full 3 mm, a 2mm hodded vest, 2mm booties, and 5mm gloves. I got uncomfortable about 15 min into the dive, downright cold after about 35 min, when we ended our dive. After we had warmed up for a while, we suited up for the second dive, I used the same setup as before, but I added a 6mm hood to it( I happened to have it at the bottom of my bag). I was more comfortable, but still cold at the end of the dive. I tend to chill more easily. It really depends on how you handle the temperature.

When I dive the springs (72 degrees year round) I use a 3mm farmer john style wetsuit with a 3mm hooded vest (5 mm on head) and a 3 mm jacket over top. So, in the torso I have 9 MM and 3 mm everywhere else. Admittedly I hate being cold, and that keeps me pretty comfortable for extended periods of time.

If you have a big tub, fill it up, and get it to 72 degs. Soak in it and determine what you think you need. Its hard for someone to tell you what to ware.

The best advice to this often asked question. :lotsalove: There are no other valid answers.

Dove the Hudson Grotto Monday in a 3mm and was fine, will be diving rainbow tomorrow in the early am with a 3mm suit only no hood or gloves, but for me in 72 degree water is warm enough to just wear skins.

I normally use my 5mm to dive Crystal River. I can get by with my dive skin but it doesn't hold out for the second dive.

And welcome to the pond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom