Wisdom invalid dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glcoley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife's Wisdom computer, on down load has an invalid dive on each trip we take.
5 dives at Catalina, one will be invalid and not down load.
19 dives at Roatan, one will be invalid and not down load.
Any one else having this problem?
No response from the Sherwood customer service.

I often encounter this, too.

I have never had a problem on my computer, just happens on my wife's

Would you be willing to provide a memory dump using my downloader utility so I can take a look at the profile data to see what it considers 'invalid'? I can provide you with a URL to download the application (Windows) and it will download the dump using only read commands (no write commands). Since it doesn't parse the data it will simply dump what's on the computer and I can analyze the data in a hex dump and see where it might be failing...

Also, do you have the latest Sherwood Computer Interface application from Sherwood's website?

Andy,
It could be what I've seen in the Wisdom download logbook where an entry
occasionally stores 0 as the starting profile address, which is an invalid address,
so the entry has to be ignored/skipped.
I never fully resolved it but
I seem to recall that this seemed to occur when 2 dives were "merged" together.
i.e. a dive was done in less than 10 minutes of surface interval of a previous dive.

For example this can happen if you surface to get your bearings and then
dive back down. Technically, this is 2 dives but the 2 dives get merged together
back into a single dive for logbook tracking and downloading.

My questions to the original poster and anyone else that has seen this are:

How is the dive "lost'?

Is it a dive that shows up in the download selection GUI that you cannot download
because it is greyed out,
or is it a dive that you know you did but never shows up in the download
selection GUI?

i.e. is the lost/dropped dive a real dive that you know you did with a greater
than 10 minute surface interval,
or is it an "extra" dive that shows up during downloading that you cannot download?

Also does this "lost" dive show up in the onboard logbook if you review dives using
the logbook/history functions?

--- bill

Anecdotally, after about 100 logged dives on my Wisdom II this has only happened once, where the dive wouldn't download correctly. I looked and looked at the dive to see what was different about it but never could correlate anything.

Somehow, the dive would download with the correct date, but the start time and end time would be the same (start time correct, end time wrong). No end pressure listed, no depth datagraph, and the entry would be locked and un-editable.

Interestingly, I was able to complete a manual entry of the dive by clicking through the log entry on the computer itself, where all data displayed correctly.

Deleted and re-downloaded that dive multiple times, even tried installing the Sherwood software on my laptop and trying it there, same issue.

The computer itself worked fine that dive, and it displays fine in the computer's own log. Subsequent dives have downloaded fine. But something about that one just won't download correctly. :idk:

Haven't tried redownloading it since installing the December '08 divelog software update from the Sherwood site. Hmmm... I wonder if it's still in the computer?

>*< Fritz

How is the dive "lost'? It is not lost, the down load list shows all 19 dives, I ask to save all of them, the system shows 18 saved and 1 not saved "invalid.

Is it a dive that shows up in the download selection GUI that you cannot download
selection GUI? Dive we did together with ample surface interval from prior dive, all 19 dives down load ok from my computer

or is it an "extra" dive that shows up during downloading that you cannot download? a real dive

Also does this "lost" dive show up in the onboard logbook if you review dives using
the logbook/history functions? the computer lof on the computer shows the dive when I scroll through the dives

Andy,
It could be what I've seen in the Wisdom download logbook where an entry
occasionally stores 0 as the starting profile address, which is an invalid address,
so the entry has to be ignored/skipped.
I never fully resolved it but
I seem to recall that this seemed to occur when 2 dives were "merged" together.
i.e. a dive was done in less than 10 minutes of surface interval of a previous dive.

For example this can happen if you surface to get your bearings and then
dive back down. Technically, this is 2 dives but the 2 dives get merged together
back into a single dive for logbook tracking and downloading.

How is the dive "lost'?

selection GUI?

or is it an "extra" dive that shows up during downloading that you cannot download?

the logbook/history functions?

--- bill

Would you be willing to provide a memory dump using my downloader utility so I can take a look at the profile data to see what it considers 'invalid'? I can provide you with a URL to download the application (Windows) and it will download the dump using only read commands (no write commands). Since it doesn't parse the data it will simply dump what's on the computer and I can analyze the data in a hex dump and see where it might be failing...

Also, do you have the latest Sherwood Computer Interface application from Sherwood's website?

Ihave not downloaded from the Sherwood web site, I was not sure if the new II software would be ok on our original Wisdom models.
Maybe I should try that and see if it makes a difference?

My wife's Wisdom computer, on down load has an invalid dive on each trip we take.
5 dives at Catalina, one will be invalid and not down load.
19 dives at Roatan, one will be invalid and not down load.
Any one else having this problem?
No response from the Sherwood customer service.

and the Sherwood rep here on Scuba Board has answered me and is trying to help also, thanks all for your responses...I'm still working on it,
a dive computer with a "head cold" makes me nervous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom