Ideas diving Plus..Coz, Playa, Isla M.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

habarisc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm heading to Mexzico late June - July. Flying into Cancun and public transport from there.
I'm an experienced diver so I will do diving in Cozumel for at least a week, maybe more. I'm a solo diver on a budget. I want to pack light and rent equipment (- my mask and snorkel) I've gotten good ideas from this site. I want to max my bottom time and do other things, I'm not into diving till-I -drop. I do enjoy snorkeling too.
It seems to be a toss up, stay in town, eat cheap, take a taxi to a dive shop vs. do a package deal and pay more.
Cozumel seems the cheapest place to stay. I want to do want to do the "tourist" thing and skycycle and snorkel a crenote maybe dive too.
So I will spend some time in Playa del Carmen. I've looked into many hotel/hostel possibilities. I'm not desperate and do not do dorms. Traveling solo seems to cost more.???
The end of my trip I've focused on Isla Murejues? It seems a low-keyed place but budget hotels are not as common. And it seems laid back but not cheap???????????

Cancun has no appeal to me. Only the airefares.

Maybe I'm off on my perceptions?

I'm open to ideas or changing my itenery. I want to get the most bang-for the-buck and have a variety of experiences.

PS- My last trip started on the W coast of Costa Rica-diving -to the rain forest- ziplines- horseback riding to Arenal Volcano- soaking in natural hotsprings- the eastern coast of CR -to Panama- Boca del Torres. :blinking:

I have no desire to experience Cancun and its nightlife.
The problem is.... I will be there over the 4th of July and don't want to get hit with higher prices. And I'm not sure how much time to spend in Playa and Isla M.
Where will I get the best rates and uptime?

Cozumel is really inexpensive, especially summer months which is the off season.
You don't need to rent a car in Cozumel unless you stay far away from town. Most dive ops will pick you up at the closest dock, as long as it is south of downtown pier.
Some places to check out:
Barracuda hotel/Dive Paradise ... oceanfront right downtown, walk to restaurants
Aqua Safari dive op has its own hotel, very cheap, right downtown also
Flamingo Hotel, right downtown and use any dive op

Cozumel check out some of the hotels on there for locations and prices
Bay Adventures :: Dive Adventures and Island Vacations :: 888.599.3483 ditto, packages for places like Barracuda

I am sure others will chime in with cheap places to stay. These are the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head right now.

The all-inclusives are having crazy low rates right now. We have an incredibly great rate at the Cancun Palace in Cancun next month, and stayed at the Occidental Grand Xcaret in January for next to nothing. You may want to check with the big discounters, Liberty Travel and Apple Vacations, to see if they can get you a good deal. I booked both my trips with Liberty Travel, and they have been great. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

I have been to & dove all places you have mentioned. Isla Mujeres is the cheapest of all for lodging & diving. Drop me a PM & I will help you find some inexpensive places .

If you have the time, I would TOTALLY go down to Mahahual!! Extremely laid back, off the beaten path, and probably some of the best diving in Mexico. Its about 4 hours from Playa close to the border with Belize. The downside is that it tends to be a bit pricey both lodging and diving. But, definately worth it! Holbox is another alternative to Isla. The will be right in the middle of whale shark season so prices will be higher. BUT, you get to see whale sharks, manta rays, golden rays and much more!!!! NOT TO BE MISSED even if just on a day trip!!!

Some friends and I are headed to Tulum next month, Its an hour or two south of Playa Del Carmen. We chose that area because it seemed to have a lot fewer of the super-resorts, and a lot cheaper prices (we're splitting a house 4 ways for a little over a week). Not sure how public transport will do for ya in that area, only been once before and only for the day.

Here is a link to Gladys Apts., in Isla Mujeres. Her clean rooms & apts rent for $35-60/night. She speaks perfect English & will make your trip a happy one !!
Also, on the same link, click on some of the subjects at the top of the page, , " planning for Isla, " Questions & Answers, " Isla Chatter," & others for all the info about Isla Mujeres you need.
Meals on the Island can be as cheap as $3 up , you can walk or take the bus to anywhere. Diving from $50 up/2 tanks. Their diving does not have the walls & coral of Cozumel, but MUCH MORE fish & animals will be seen, & less crowded. Snorkle with Whale Sharks in June & July.
Cheap airfares are not hard to find to Cancun. Shuttle form the airport to the port, & ferry fees are reasonable.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom