Dive info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avngrrl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Please forgive me if I'm violating forum etiquette here, I'm new to diving and the whole forum thing in general. I am a newly certified diver from KY and am going on a trip to Blue Grotto and Devils Den with my dive shop in May. I'm wondering what the conditions are like at that time of year. I have been on both locations' websites, but I was hoping to get a little more detail and some first hand intel. I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, but you guys seemed the most active. Thanks in advance for not being to hard on me if I'm wrong.

The water conditions will be about 72 degrees with unlimited vis, until divers stir it up.
The topside weather will be warm. Right now we are in the low 80s already. You could get a rain shower but I wouldnt cancel the trip over it.
I personally like BG over DD but they are both good dives. I generally do them once a year when the gulf temps start falling or the weather is rough.
WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

You should post your dates on this forum and possibly a few locals would join you.

I have to agree with Salmon on this one. Both are well worth doing at least once but I prefer Blue Grotto. Make sure you bring a good sized dive light with you. It really helps with the experience. They have them to rent but the ones they rent aren't very big if I remember right. Like he said be sure to post up the dates. You will probably end up with some locals up there to dive with if you do.

You can do DD and Blue Grotto in the same day. If you are coming all the way from Kentucky to dive, you might want to plan some others dives on a second day. I'm not sure your total trip plans or whatever, but if they allow for another day of diving, post up and we can give you some other possible dive sites, at least one (Ginne Springs) that would basically be on the way back home if you are driving!

You can do DD and Blue Grotto in the same day. If you are coming all the way from Kentucky to dive, you might want to plan some others dives on a second day.

I'm always up for diving w/fellow Kentuckians!!!

so heres the plan: Coming down to finish my OW with my local dive shop, so most of the trip is planned out already. However, me and my B/F are thinking about staying a day or two and doing some fun diving. I was thinkin about maybe a saltwater dive, will the water in the gulf be warm enough by then? Thanks so much for all the help, and we would love the company if you can come out on a sunday or monday.

III-Thanks for your service. B/F and I are both currently serving actively (read full time) with the national guard and have both served over seas.

looks like the plans right now are, Day 1 DD or GS, then to Blue Grotto on Day 2, then planing to stick around Sunday and Monday to get a few more dives in. any other locations that you all recommend? any decent dives on the gulf side right now? dates are 15 May - 19 May.

"Tropic Lighting"

I dove BG, DD, and the Rainbow River about 3 weeks ago for the first time. All are excellent dives, but you will probably be restricted by your instructo on how deep you can go at Blue Grotto. I would definantly recommed a drift dive down the Rainbow River though. It is perfect for new divers.

I dove BG, DD, and the Rainbow River about 3 weeks ago for the first time. All are excellent dives, but you will probably be restricted by your instructo on how deep you can go at Blue Grotto. I would definantly recommed a drift dive down the Rainbow River though. It is perfect for new divers.

been youtubing videos, all look like fun dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom